The Next Five (#6)

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Hello everyone. Happy Tuesday!

Guys I'm soooooo behind on my reading goals for this year. I am about two books behind schedule and I hope I can get back on track. Why am I such a slow reader lol... Any who, here are the next five books I'll be reading. If you've read any of these books, let me know on a 5 star rating what your thoughts are on that book. No spoilers please!! All descriptions are taken from Goodreads.

1. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)


They killed my mother.
They took our magic.
They tried to bury us.

Now we rise.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers and her growing feelings for an enemy.

~~

This book was like number 55? On my TBR list, but it got moved up because both of my siblings read it, loved it, and won't stop nagging me about reading this book lol... I definitely know this was one of the most beloved YA books from last year. Pretty hyped to read this book. I've read a couple reviews from other bloggers so I've spoiled a couple things for myself, but I'm still very interested in it.

2. Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All by Candace Flemming, M.T. Anderson, Stephanie Hemphill, Lisa Ann Sandell, Jennifer Donnelly, Linda Sue Park, and Deborah Hopkinson

Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All

He was King Henry VIII, a charismatic and extravagant ruler obsessed with both his power as king and with siring a male heir.

They were his queens--six ill-fated women, each bound for divorce, or beheading, or death.

Watch spellbound as each of Henry's wives attempts to survive their unpredictable king and his power-hungry court. See the sword flash as fiery Anne Boleyn is beheaded for adultery. Follow Jane Seymour as she rises from bullied court maiden to beloved queen, only to die after giving birth. Feel Catherine Howard's terror as old lovers resurface and whisper vicious rumors to Henry's influential advisors. Experience the heartache of mothers as they lose son after son, heir after heir. 

Told in stirring first-person accounts, Fatal Throne is at once provocative and heartbreaking, an epic tale that is also an intimate look at the royalty of the most perilous times in English history.

Who's Who: 

* M. T. Anderson - Henry VIII
* Candace Fleming - Katharine of Aragon
* Stephanie Hemphill - Anne Boleyn
* Lisa Ann Sandell - Jane Seymour
* Jennifer Donnelly - Anna of Cleves
* Linda Sue Park - Catherine Howard
* Deborah Hopkinson - Kateryn Parr

~❤~

That is a long list of authors for this book lol... Random question, in the US, I had to learn and memorize every president we've ever had in the US. Do people in other countries have to remember all the monarchs/political leaders in their country? I want to read this book because I know very very very little about any monarchy. This book got recommended by me because I watched The Crown on Netflix and I can't wait to learn more about the scandals of the royals :) 

3. Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves 

Blood Rose Rebellion (Blood Rose Rebellion, #1)

Sixteen-year-old Anna Arden is barred from society by a defect of blood. Though her family is part of the Luminate, powerful users of magic, she is Barren, unable to perform the simplest spells. Anna would do anything to belong. But her fate takes another course when, after inadvertently breaking her sister's debutante spell--an important chance for a highborn young woman to show her prowess with magic--Anna finds herself exiled to her family's once powerful but now crumbling native Hungary.

Her life might well be over.

In Hungary, Anna discovers that nothing is quite as it seems. Not the people around her, from her aloof cousin No�mi to the fierce and handsome Romani G�bor. Not the society she's known all her life, for discontent with the Luminate is sweeping the land. And not her lack of magic. Isolated from the only world she cares about, Anna still can't seem to stop herself from breaking spells.

As rebellion spreads across the region, Anna's unique ability becomes the catalyst everyone is seeking. In the company of nobles, revolutionaries, and Romani, Anna must choose: deny her unique power and cling to the life she's always wanted, or embrace her ability and change that world forever.

~❤~

I've never read a book that takes place in Hungary before, so this should be very interesting. Ahhh yes... the classic "handsome" male lead in a book. Some reason I don't like it when the author describes someone as handsome or beautiful, unless it's like a core to their personality. I just basically assume that every character in every book is good looking lol... I don't know why this book is on my list, but I shall give it a try!

4. Ryan's Bed by Tijan 

Ryan's Bed

I crawled into Ryan Jensen's bed that first night by accident.

I barely knew him. I thought it was his sister's bed--her room. It took seconds to realize my error, and I should've left...

I didn't.

I didn't jump out.

I didn't get embarrassed.

I relaxed.

And that night, in that moment, it was the only thing I craved.

I asked to stay. He let me, and I slept.

The truth? I never wanted to leave his bed. If I could've stayed forever, I would have.

He became my sanctuary.

Because--four hours earlier--my twin sister killed herself.

~❤~

I'm giving contemporary books another try. I'm trying to broaden the books that I read. Some reason, this book is reminding my of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I read that book like... 10 years ago? I really hope they're not too similar. Both books even have the last name "Jensen" for the male MC...

5. Dread Nation by Justina Ireland

Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1)

Jane McKeene was born two days before the dead began to walk the battlefields of Gettysburg and Chancellorsville—derailing the War Between the States and changing America forever. In this new nation, safety for all depends on the work of a few, and laws like the Native and Negro Reeducation Act require certain children attend combat schools to learn to put down the dead. But there are also opportunities—and Jane is studying to become an Attendant, trained in both weaponry and etiquette to protect the well-to-do. It’s a chance for a better life for Negro girls like Jane. After all, not even being the daughter of a wealthy white Southern woman could save her from society’s expectations.

But that’s not a life Jane wants. Almost finished with her education at Miss Preston’s School of Combat in Baltimore, Jane is set on returning to her Kentucky home and doesn’t pay much mind to the politics of the eastern cities, with their talk of returning America to the glory of its days before the dead rose. But when families around Baltimore County begin to go missing, Jane is caught in the middle of a conspiracy, one that finds her in a desperate fight for her life against some powerful enemies. And the restless dead, it would seem, are the least of her problems.

~❤~

Been a long time since I've read anything with zombies in it. I love it when authors take a section of history and change it to be a bit different. It helps me learn just a bit more about that specific time although it may not be 100% accurate. Sometimes books make me go on a googling knowledge spree :) I can't wait to read this book. 

~❤~

Out of all of the books here, I'm most excited for Children of Blood and Bone. I'm feeling a bit iffy on Blood Rose Rebellion and Ryan's Bed. Also, have you guys ever tried exercising and reading? I listen to audiobooks now, but I wonder if running & reading would be a good combo. Please let me know if you run and read/listen!


3 comments:

  1. Ooh, Blood Rose Rebellion is on my TBR!! :) Wishing you lots of good reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so many good things about Children of Blood and Bone. I hope it's fabulous! Same w/ dread Nation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fatal Throne certainly interests me and it is on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS