Book Review: Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

Monday, December 25, 2017

Author: Laini Taylor
Series: Yes - Book #2 in the Daughter of Smoke & Bone Series. 
Cover: I really like the pop of red in the dark gray background.
Rating: 5/5 It was a great read throughout December and I highly recommend the series!

Image result for days of starlight and blood

Review: First, I would like to say it's been a couple of years since I read the first book making it hard for me to remember the details besides the main point of Chimaeras vs Seraphim. After reading a quick summary of book one, I dove straight into this book. What I love the most about this book is that there is no clear side. One side isn't "good" and the other "evil". Another reason this book was enjoyable to read was that romance and love wasn't the central problem, it was war. Although I really did enjoy the romance in the first book, I believe Days of Blood & Starlight dove deeper into each of the characters. It wasn't a story about a love-sick girl with a prince to rescue her. It is a book about two opposing sides that have lost so much and are doing what they can to stop losing more. Another theme that I enjoyed was bringing our human world into the world of Eretz and seeing how human seraphims and chimaeras are. This book makes you think about the sacrifices made in times of war, how nothing is black or white, and that no matter what side a person is on everyone loses and wins. This book is an absolute pleasure and I can't wait to read book #3.

Favorite Moment:

"When it turned out that he could, Karou dropped to her knees to genuflect. 'Gods of math and physics,' she intoned, 'I accept your gift of this clever, fair-haired boy.' 'Man,' corrected Mik, insulted. 'Look: sideburns. Chest hair. Sort of.'"

Top 3 Favorite Characters

Ziri - Ziri is such a sweet character. The way he is described to me in this book made it feel like he was a boy to protect, but at the same time, he is a man that will protect. He is so loyal to people that that he cares about. He also made a sacrifice that many would not do to achieve Karou's goal. I also found it adorable of his little crush on Karou. 

Hazael - This is one smooth angel. I would have loved to have a brother like him. He is well liked, light-hearted and very caring. He is such a calm and level-headed character. I like characters that you can see the change in their hearts and you can see it with Hazael and his sister, Liraz. 

Zuzanna - Zuzanna reminds me of my best friend. I love her to bits. Her dedication to helping Karou is unbelievable and of higher loyalty than any other character in this book. Not to mention, she's so cute and tiny that imagining her with 7ft+ tall creatures seems funny to me. Her and Mik always manages to crack a smile for me as I'm reading, and their personalities are almost relieving in the dark and gloomy setting of Days of Starlight & Blood. Best friends are the best! 


Buy it on Amazon: 
Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke & Bone)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS