Book Review: The Midnight Star by Marie Lu

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Author: Marie Lu
Series: Yes - Book #3 in The Young Elites series. Final book :(
Cover: I love how simple the cover is. As someone who loves to stargaze, this cover was simply beautiful to me.
Rating: 5/5 I am so sad this series is done. The series was like a dessert. You finally get to eat your dessert, but once it's finished you're sad that there's nothing more to enjoy. I can't wait to read other works by Marie Lu.

Image result for the midnight star

Review: Where do I even start. I didn't want this journey to end at all. I wanted to be able to explore the world of Adelina just a couple chapters more. Reading this book on the plane was a bad idea because I started to tear up at one point. Although I did enjoy this book greatly, I felt that the whole story was rushed in this last book. Maybe I just wanted to read about the world of the Elites a bit longer. 

What I love about this book, is that part of me wanted to believe that Adelina was good, but I knew she wasn't. It gave the main character more dimension besides the usual "good girl" against "the world." Not only was Adelina lovable, but every single character that Lu presented to me. My heart broke when certain characters died. It felt wrong, to have these characters that I enjoyed just gone. They will never return.

This book is also dark. Due to Adelina's dark nature, the world around her is creepy, dark, and sad. One small thing I wanted to add were the names for the characters. I loved that the names Lu chose were not super common, eccentric, or odd to me. It's a personal opinion of mine, but I don't like names that are super common in books, nouns, or names that I cannot figure out how to pronounce correctly until the 18th try. Names like Adelina, Enzo, Lucent, etc. are simple and perfect for me, so A+ to you Lu.

Now, the last couple of chapters. I knew what was going to happen, although I prayed to all the angels and angels hoping it wouldn't happen. I'm not mad at how this series ended. I think Lu did perfectly in wrapping this series. Although I am late in reading this book, I hope to those that haven't started will read this book as well. 

Favorite Moment:

"I see a vision of the night I'd first run away from our home, when we touched our foreheads together. I do this now, resting my forehead on hers, and I rock her back and forth, begging her once again, in vain, not to leave me." 

Top 3 Favorite Characters

Adelina - The name Adelina means "nobility" or "noble." I found that as a perfect fit to her character and life. She walked as a queen and demanded to be treated as a queen. Although she may be a tad insane, I ultimately felt sorry for her and I wish things could have been better for her.

Magiano - This guy is pure joy. I love how carefree he is and how he genuinely cares for Adelina. His eyes and mischievous just like a cat!

Raffaele - This guy has been one of my favorites throughout the series. He is kind, flirtatious and charismatic which makes all the other characters around him open up. Although his powers is to pull the emotional strings of characters, he has pulled mine as well.   


Buy it on Amazon: 

The Midnight Star (The Young Elites)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS