Book Review: Renegades by Marissa Meyer

Monday, August 20, 2018

Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: Yes - Book #1 in the Renegades series. 
Cover: I really enjoy this cover. It gives me a very comic book feel. The font and color for Renegades is so simple and contrasting with the rest of the colors.
Rating: 5/5 I don't think I've read a superhero YA book before. At least from the top of my head I don't remember reading any. This book was amazing from start to finish. Meyer is such a talented writer. 

Renegades (Renegades, #1)


Review: Like always, fist part will be spoiler free and second part will be full of spoilers. You have been warned! So, this book has been hyped up for me by everyone I know. I was hooked with The Lunar Chronicle series from day one so when I heard Meyer wrote another book, I was excited to get my hands on it. I have to say; this book might be my favorite book so far this year.

In Renegades, people who are born with superpowers and are called Prodigies. We get two point of views in this book, one from Nova and the other from Adrian. Nova belongs to the Anarchists, AKA the villain group. Their one goal is to destroy the Renegades and take back their rule. Adrian on the other hand, belongs to the Renegades and is working to keep peace within their city. Basically, if you're a prodigy, you usually side with the Renegades, Anarchists, or your powers aren't special enough to be a part of either.

First off, I love the world that Meyer has created. Although this world isn't new to many people, it is new to me. I don't think I've read a YA book that contained "superheroes". I've seen shows, movies, and anime that have superheroes and it is something that never runs out of creativity. Of course, there are somethings that overlap in this genre, but to me, this book was very refreshing!



As for the characters in Renegades, I loved them all. Adrian is the cutest character I have read about so far. I just want to pinch his cheeks and tease him. Nova is such a bad ass, I love her too. I love the interaction between the two. In many YA books, it is always the girl that is chasing after the guy. It is nice to see the opposite. 

What I loved the most in this book was that the perception of "good" isn't always good. In superhero shows and movies, it always seems as if Superman, Iron Man, or Batman are always saving the world from a superior Bad Guy. We don't see them helping the society around them often. Nova brings up a good point in that as society depends on superheroes to do their work, humans become weaker. In the world of Renegades, people depend on their heroes so much that they don't have an organized system when it comes to smaller crimes such as robbery or assault. They just expect someone else to do the work for them instead of them doing the work.

Now, not every book is perfect, but it was pretty dang close. Renegades, in my opinion, is a filler book. The first book is setting up the characters, conflict, and direction this series will go in. As far as I know, this series will be a trilogy. I believe that we'll get to the main problem in book #2. Book #1 had nothing spectacular, but it was still fun to read. 



Overall, I'd recommend this book :) I really enjoyed the full 18 hours of audio and I can't wait to see what the second book as in store for me. I love the amazing selection of characters, the world, and the story that is going on so far. Book #2, Archenemies, is coming out on November 6th. You can bet I'll be one of the first readers!

!!!!!!!!!! MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD !!!!!!!!!!

Alright folks, spoiler territory. Turn away or venture ahead, you decide.

Okay, so who killed Lady Indomitable? Was it Phobia? He said that one line that Adrian was searching into. This felt so anticlimactic to me. Did he show her a fear and then pushed her off the edge? For someone that carries a scythe, it doesn't feel right... I don't know guys... who killed her? Is it really Phobia?

Also, Ace lol... I knew he was alive. I don't know how, but my gut was telling me that he's alive. Just like in superhero shows, the bad guy never dies. He just comes back and creates even more problems! 



Also... I have a bad feeling that Ace killed his own family. Or maybe I'm over thinking it. I really really really hope he didn't. Poor Nova :( I don't want her to deal with another problem with her last living family member. 

I was soooooooo heartbroken that Nova didn't accept Adrian's date. Adrian is such a cute love-sick puppy. GAHHHHHHHH MY HEART CAN'T TAKE IT!!!!!! Let's face the facts, they're going to get together right? Right? They must... MEYER THEY MUST!

Lastly, what about Narcissa? She's running around with the Nightmare, Insomnia, and Nova secret. Is Nova going to do anything about that? Why do I have so many questions?! I am so unsure of everything lol...

Audiobook Review: 



Rebecca Soler did an amazing job with Nova. I love her impression of Honey as well. Soler did such an amazing job with her voice acting that I forget that it is one person doing all the voices sometimes. The way she transitions from Nightmare and Insomnia's voices and personality is flawless. Have I mentioned that Honey sounds amazing? I love love the sass. 

Dan Bittner was great as well. I don't think he fits Adrian well. I think he fits Captain Chromium super well though. His voice is better suited for the "super manly" type. Overall, still a magnificent work from both of them!

Top 3 Favorite Characters 

Nova - No surprises here. I think she might be my favorite heroine I've read about this year. There is so much going on in her brain. I love how smart she is. When she fought the Gargoyle, OMG 10/10


Adrian - HE'S SO CUTE!!! Also, I think he has the best superpower in the entire book. He can draw everything and make it come to life. HE CAN GIVE HIMSELF MORE POWERS! Also, he has such a kind heart. Bless him <3

Max - Okay the Everheart family is too over powered. We have Captain Chromium that is invincible, Adrian can draw anything, and it'll come to life, and Max can suck your powers and energy away. I feel so bad for Max though. I hope that by the end of the series, he can live and be a normal kid.



It has been so much fun listening to Renegades. Work has made me busy, but I'm glad I can still read/listen to my books and write reviews on them. I will be reading Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody next. Have you guys read Renegades? What did you think of it? Let me know down below! 

8 comments:

  1. I'm loving it so far! I'm almost halfway through! :D I hope you like Ace of Shades (it's been on my TBR for awhile now, Lol.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhh Who do you like more? Adrian or Nova?? I'll let you know how Ace of Shades is :)

      Delete
  2. I really like the cover too. I read Bardugo's Wonder Woman: Warbringer and enjoyed it. My first superhero novel, YA or otherwise. I enjoyed Cinder and need to get back to that series. I want to read this one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that book around, but never thought of picking it up. Maybe I should look into it. I loved The Lunar Chronicle series. Let me know what you think of it if you finish reading the series!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've read a YA superhero book either! THis one has me curious though, both because of the premise and because I've kinda wanted to try Marissa Meyer's writing? Plus these good reviews don't hurt!

    I like the idea of the factions- the Anarchists and Renegades.

    Oh and that superheroes GIF? Thank you :) Awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe superheroes are the new vampires in terms of YA genres?? I think Meyer is turning out to be one of the few authors where I enjoy their writing style. I love my GIFS <3

      Delete
  4. I like that cover too...there's just something really interesting about it.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS