Ten Literary Characters That Grind My Gears

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

HAPPY WEDNESDAY EVERYONE!

I feel like in my many years of reading random books across many genres, I have encountered a couple of characters that have ruffled my feathers. Generally, I consider myself a pretty lenient reader and I rate books fairly lax. But once in a blue moon, I will meet a character that irritates me. Honestly, if I could meet these characters in real life, I may have given them a smack down already. Now, all of these mini rants are my own personal feelings toward those characters. If you love them, that is great for you! I'm not here to pick a fight with anyone and I don't want you guys to hate me because I hate some fictional character. <3 <3 <3

1 & 2. America Singer & Eadlyn Schreave from The Selection series

The Selection (The Selection, #1) The Heir (The Selection, #4)


Like mother, like daughter with these two. Out of the two, I dislike Eadlyn more. For America, I feel like she is more of a naive character. As for her daughter, that girl is SPOILED. Legit, Eadlyn is born as the crowned princess to an entire country and then later becomes queen, and complains that someone is annoying for wanting her life style. She is so out of touch with her people that I wouldn't be surprised if she gets over thrown. 

3. Abbey from The Hollow series

The Hollow (The Hollow, #1)

Abbey was a character that I was fully content with. When you read about her, she wasn't someone that you either hated or loved. She was pretty normal (except she can see ghosts). It wasn't until the last 10 pages of the entire series that made me want to tear my hair out. Girl, I get that you love your boyfriend and all, but that choice you made was STUPID. I don't want a character who's sole purpose in life is her dedication to her boyfriend and nothing else.

4. Meghan Chase from The Iron Fey series

The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)

Meghan is what I imagine the older generation, 60+, thinks of when they think of "teenagers." She is a character with a very very VERY slow character development. Her thoughts mostly consist of her dark prince and then maybe like 30% everything else. She is that type of person where someone goes "Don't touch that!" and you know what she does? She touches it. Then she wonders why she gets punished for touching the thing. 

5. Zoey Redbird from House of Night series

Marked (House of Night, #1)

Take this rant I have about Zoey with a grain of salt. I haven't finished the series, but I have read 8 out of the 12 books in this series. I think that's enough info gathering for me to decide whether or not I like Zoey. If she by any chance changes in the last 4 books, good for her! I feel as if Zoey is a character that the authors tried to pass off as "naive" and "innocent," but that only works for the first 1-2 books. NOT ALL EIGHT lol...

6. Teresa Agnes from The Maze Runner series

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)

I really liked her in the book, but then I hated her for very spoilery reasons. Can't touch on much more of her because I don't want to ruin the series for anyone that hasn't read it.

7. Hazel Lancaster from The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars

Now, I've had many talks with my friends who are in love with this book. Yes, I know that she is sick, and yes I know she hasn't had the best life ever, but that doesn't give her an automatic pass for me. Personally, I think her personality didn't fit me. Every time I read about her, I just rolled my eyes. Everything felt so dramatic for me. Just my personal opinion though. 

8. Xifeng from Rise of the Empress series

Forest of a Thousand Lanterns (Rise of the Empress, #1)

Xifeng is probably the best written character out of this list. The reason I don't like her is because of how cunning she is. She is a person that I would never ever want to meet in person. She will gladly throw you in a burning pit and watch you die in pleasure. She is so cruel to everyone that I'll be surprised if anyone truly enjoys her. She wasn't what I was expecting for the main character of this series.

9. Odessa from Reign of the Fallen series

Reign of the Fallen (Reign of the Fallen, #1)

Odessa is one of the characters that everyone in the book praises for her skills. Every chapter had a praise for her, but she never lived up to her praises. She's said to be very cunning, but a page later, she nearly gets herself killed for doing something that no sane person would do. I just wanted to reach into the book and shake her. WHY DO YOU DO THINGS THAT EVERYONE HAS ADVISE YOU AGAINST.

10. Ethan Wate from Beautiful Creatures series

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)

Ethan was just very creepy to me. I feel like he is a middle aged woman in a body of a 16 year old male. Ethan also has the "I'm obviously very smart and kind, therefore I am better than 90% of the other people in this town" personality. Is there a word for that? He's also very hypocritical. He judges his classmates for judging people for their money, looks, or how often they pray in church. Then, when Lena arrives to town, on of his first thoughts is " I wonder if she's hot." Jeez Ethan...

Welp, that is it everyone! Characters that I did not like to read about. Are there any characters you didn't enjoy? Are there any from this list that you actually love? Want to try and convince me on why I should love them? LOL  

25 comments:

  1. So true about America and Eadlyn. Seriously if anyone was America, it's pretty obvious who they would pick. We didn't need a love triangle (that was pointless) to last three books.

    And then Eadlyn... was a special case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel as if Cass was trying to milk as much as possible with her series. There's already 5 books in the main series and I believe 4? novellas. I'm just ready for Cass to write about something different.

      Delete
    2. She did write a standalone novel, The Siren. But I haven't read it yet.

      Delete
    3. The cover for The Siren looks exactly the same as the covers for The Selection series... I'm hesitant to read that book. Maybe some other day.

      Delete
    4. I really want to read The Selection series and The Siren!

      Delete
  2. The only one of these I’ve read was Beautiful Creatures, though I’ve heard of some of the others. It has been a long time, so I’ve forgotten a lot, but I must admit, I quite enjoyed the idea of a paranormal romance seen from the viewpoint of a boy, with a female paranormal being. I loved the whole business of a small town where the Civil War is still referred to as “ the War of Northern Aggression”. I never got past the first novel, though - the sequel wasn’t as good, so l didn’t finish.

    Of course, I’m one of those middle-aged women who is apparently squeezed into that 16 year old boy’s body, 😂, but I’ve found that the teenagers in my school library have generally enjoyed this one as much as I did, probably for different reasons. Girls, though. Despite the male viewpoint, it’s a girls’ book. I found the film a disappointment, though. What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally read the Beautiful Creatures series because I liked the cover. I enjoy reading books where there are male protagonists, especially in the romance genre. Unfortunately, Ethan just got creepier to me as the books went on xD

      YOU CAN BE HOW EVER OLD YOU WANT IN A BOOK! I hated the movie lol... It was so bad. Maybe this gave me an even stronger reason to dislike Ethan.

      Delete
  3. Zoey and her friends annoyed me a lot by the second and third book and it was the characters that made me quit. I quit Beautiful Creatures because I didn't like anyone there either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike Chuckles! I think for both of the series, the character development was so slow that it makes it hard for some readers to enjoy. Maybe in another life time.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading your list. I've only read The Selection books from your list. It is my guilty pleasure read. What I didn't like about The Selection is the love triangle. I think that dragged on to long. I'm intrigued about Rise of the Empress series. I read up some more about it, I like how the main character is an anti-herione.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Selection series is a hit or miss for people. I know people that absolutely love the series I didn't like the love triangle either. It also felt like a very one sided love triangle in my opinion. I recommend Rise of the Empress. Xifeng just felt like a slippery snake to me xD

      Delete
  5. I've read the Maze Runner series and I want to know your reasons for disliking Teresa. Does it have anything to do with the romance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not the romance. I just didn’t like how she betrayed her group of friends is all.

      Delete
  6. Meghan Chase?? *looks at you with squinty eyes* I love the Iron Fey series! It's been awhile since I've read it, so I can't remember if your comments ring true or not. I really need to do a re-read. As for Zoey from the House of Night series... both her and her best friend (cannot remember her name) really got on my nerves. Their decisions, personalities, etc. It's one of the reasons I stopped on like book seven.

    𑁋 Lindsi @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma’am. Meghan Chase xD everyone has their different tastes. I think the book is catered to mostly young teens. I remember loving book #1, but I read that when I was 12. I started the series again last year, so maybe my tastes have changed from then.

      Yeah Zoey & Co. were annoying. The series is just drama after drama. I think they should have made the series into 6 books max. 12 is stretching it by A LOT.

      Delete
  7. Lol about Meghan Chase. "Don't touch that". That cracked me up. Hopefully Zoe improves? And Teresa- I've only seen the movies but I liked her in those. I should probably read the books since it's weird for me to watch a series but not read it- although I've heard skeevy things about Dashner lately. Anyway... fun post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know if Zoey will ever improve but I don’t think I’d want to read the series again to find out. Ohhhhh what skeevy things?! I want to know!!! Thanks Greg :)

      Delete
    2. I didn't know about the Dashner stuff myself until recently, when I heard bloggers talking about it. Here's a link. http://ew.com/books/2018/02/16/james-dashner-dropped-by-random-house/

      Delete
    3. Wow, those are very skeevy things. Thanks Greg!

      Delete
  8. OH MY GOD I SO TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT AMERICA, ZOEY, AND HAZEL (and all John Green heroines and heroes in general--they don't sound like teenagers AT ALL and that bothers me so much). I didn't finish The Hollows series (I only read book 1), so I'm so sad to hear Abbey gets annoying! It's been a while since I read the Caster Chronicles books, but I remember loving the series--it was one of my first YA series ever. xD I do recall Ethan's voice not sounding teen guy-like, though.

    And I kind of feel bad but now you've made me want to read Forest of a Thousand Lanterns even more. Xifeng sounds interesting...

    - Aimee @ Aimee, Always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yes!!!!! Great minds think alike!!! I think I am the only one that doesn't enjoy Ethan much. Maybe i am just a odd ball O.o.... I think you should read Forest of a Thousand Lanterns! It is a great book. It is just hard to love the character. She is more of an anti hero more than anything. So don't expect her to be cute and cuddly!

      Delete
  9. Oh my, I'm glad I'm not the only one that had trouble connecting with Hazel and yes Teresa Agnes, ugh! Agreed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was sold by the 4 stars rate on Goodreads for The Selection Series and after reading few chapters I was like what? I buy the whole series for this kind of spoiled MC.

    And TFIOS popularity remains as mystery to me because I found the book boring lol.

    x Rasya | nurulrasya.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up The Selection series because of the rave I saw on Goodreads too. My first thought was "she named MC 'America' lol..." Yeah TFIOS wasa book I never understood the love for.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS