Anime Review: Kakegurui

Monday, July 30, 2018

Where to Watch: Netflix
Episodes: 12
Genres: Drama, Game, Mystery, Psychological, and School
Rating: 8/10 This anime wasn't what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. This anime is also for 17+ viewers as well, so keep that in mind! 

Kakegurui


Synopsis from MyAnimeList:
Unlike many schools, attending Hyakkaou Private Academy prepares students for their time in the real world. Since many of the students are the children of the richest people in the world, the academy has its quirks that separate it from all the others. By day, it is a normal school, educating its pupils in history, languages, and the like. But at night, it turns into a gambling den, educating them in the art of dealing with money and manipulating people. Money is power; those who come out on top in the games stand at the top of the school.

Yumeko Jabami, a seemingly naive and beautiful transfer student, is ready to try her hand at Hyakkaou's special curriculum. Unlike the rest, she doesn't play to win, but for the thrill of the gamble, and her borderline insane way of gambling might just bring too many new cards to the table.

Review: This was a very pleasant anime for me to watch. I originally watched the first episode out of boredom, but by the end, I was completely hooked! This anime gives me the same feel of No Game No Life. It is an anime where you know the main character will win, but you're watching to see HOW they will win. Every episode is filled with intense drama and exhilaration. I finished this series in four days and I have zero regrets.

As stated in the synopsis, this school is run by gambling. The richest kids in Japan attend this school and gamble with their fortune. Those who make a lot of money and donate to the student council become the strongest people in the school. If a student isn't able to donate or is in massive debt, they are considered a house pet and are given the nickname Mittens for girls and Fido for boys. House pets are slaves to school and if their debt is too grand, they will have to sell their life.



Keep in mind that even though this anime has a very cheerful OST and animation, it is very dark and grotesque. Yumeko, the main character, is completely psychotic. She is not afraid to risk everything just for the high of gambling. Although the animation style of Kakegurui doesn't bother me, I know that this style may not be everyone's cup of tea. I would say the animation style reminds me of Attack on Titan and if you can stomach the aesthetics, you should give this anime a try.

Personally, I greatly enjoyed watching how Yumeko wins every match. They way her mind works is simply amazing. I also enjoyed seeing all of the supporting character's unique style of gambling. Although I was very sad that I wasn't able to see Runa's style. She is by far the cutest character in the anime. 

 

That said, if you're expecting this to be a simple slice of life school anime, you're in for a surprise. This anime shows the extreme cases of bullying, the power of the student council, and that in the world of Kakegurui, money is all that matters. Again, I'd say this anime is for 17+ viewers and I highly recommend this anime. Have you guys seen this anime? If so, let me know your thoughts in the comments down below!  

2 comments:

  1. This was recommended for me on Netflix! (Adding it to the never ending Anime list to watch.)

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS