Anime Review: DARLING in the FRANXX

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Where to Watch: Crunchyroll
Episodes: 24
Genres: Action, Drama, Mecha, Romance, and Sci-Fi
Rating: 8/10 Don't you hate it when an anime is soooooooo freaking amazing and then one thing throws the anime off for you?

Darling in the FranXX

Synopsis from Crunchyroll:
The distant future: Humanity established the mobile fort city, Plantation, upon the ruined wasteland. Within the city were pilot quarters, Mistilteinn, otherwise known as the “Birdcage.” That is where the children live... Their only mission in life was the fight. Their enemies are the mysterious giant organisms known as Kyoryu. The children operate robots known as FRANXX in order to face these still unseen enemies. Among them was a boy who was once called a child prodigy: Code number 016, Hiro. One day, a mysterious girl called Zero Two appears in front of Hiro. “I’ve found you, my Darling.”

Review: I don't even know exactly where to start with this anime review. The anime revolves around a group of teens that are trained to fight klaxosaurs for the survival of humanity since the moment they were born. The klaxosaurs are deemed as another race that wants to steal magma from humans. Magma is essential in human civilization for every bit of technology. In order to protect the magma from klaxosaurs, humanity has created children to pilot FranXX machines that are used to kill them.

I would say one of the reasons why this anime is so successful is the drama that is presented between the main characters. There are a lot of questions that are presented that reflect a lot about society today such as LGBT+ relationships, free will, racism, and abortion. Although these topics aren't discussed directly, the questions each character has revolving these issues are present on the surface. A lot of the topics come off as jokes, but it is surprising to see what teenagers make of these problems through their very limited experiences.

Of course, this is a mecha anime, therefore there are a lot of giant robots fighting alien like creatures. What I found was cute was the way the society was named. Everything that is named in this anime is garden theme. For example, the mechas are named after flowers, the cities are called plantations, the pilots are parasites, etc. Unique and cute!



The romance in this anime is adorable! My favorite character is Kokoro and I absolutely adore her relationship story. I do admit, some of the lines are SUPER CHEESY. There is one episode in this anime that was so adorable I nearly died. AWWI - for those of you who've watched it. 

Lastly, this anime could have been AMAZING. For some reason, it got silly. I felt like the last seven episodes or so got rushed. Extremely rushed. It felt like the directors and producers were tired of this anime and wanted to finish it ASAP. The ending was silly. Jaw dropping silly. I would still recommend this anime to a lot of people. I still had a blast waiting for a new episode to be released each week. If you've seen this anime, let me know down below your thoughts!  

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, another anime I've never heard of...I love finding ones that aren't hyped a lot (that way I don't get spoiled) but then I have to look really hard to find anyone that has even heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy this anime. It is not as great as My Hero Academia, but it is fun and interesting in its own way.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS