YA Books With Male Protagonists?

Monday, July 9, 2018

Hello everyone, happy Monday!

Sorry for the absence this week. I've had an extremely busy week and I didn't even get any reading time done. I'm only 40% through with Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh. I even had to return the library book and renew it again lol... Anyway, this blog post is just me asking you readers out there, what are some good YA books that have males as the main character? I feel like 90% of all YA books I've read are by female authors or have female leads. I'd love some recommendations of male authors in YA as well! 


Here are some series that I've read with male leads/male authors. 

1. Children of the Red King series by Jenny Nimmo

Midnight for Charlie Bone (The Children of the Red King, #1)

2. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher 

Thirteen Reasons Why 

3. Rick Riordan's Books 

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)

4. The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott

The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)

5. Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld 

Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)

6. The Maze Runner series by James Dashner 

The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)

7. Caster Chronicles by Kami Garcia 

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)

I've only listed some of the books I've read and if I had to list them all we'd be here forever. Very rarely would there be a book that is just ONLY a male lead. In books like Leviathan, the role of protagonists is shared by a male and a female. I'd really like to read a different point of view in YA. I feel like it is a whole new world I am missing out on in the YA genre. If you have any suggestions, let me know down below please! 


12 comments:

  1. Percy Jackson! <3
    Hmm, you're right there's not a lot of male leads in YA...
    I can only think of Anna Dressed in Blood at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh it's by Kendare Blake. This book seems very interesting. Thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete
    2. There's two books, and I LOVE it!! <3 My brother even loved it, Lol. She wrote it before Three Dark Crowns (which I still need to read).

      Delete
    3. I definitely need to check this out!!!

      Delete
  2. Mark Walden's H.I.V.E series is good entertainment, Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl, David Estes The Moon Dwellers, Jamed Todd Cochrane's Max and the Gatekeeper, Kevin Hardman's Wendigo, Alyxandra Harvey's Drake Chronicles, Kendra C Highley's Matt Archer, SM Wilson's Extinction Trials, Lish McBride's Hold me closer necromancer,Darren Shan's The Saga of Darren Shan all have male mc's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG Chuckles <3 So many recommendations! Thank you very much.

      Delete
  3. Percy Jackson is a favorite! Most of the times a book with a male POV is a duel perspective for a book. I just listened to The Sun is Also a Star (really good) and enjoyed both perspectives. Harry Potter, right? Words in Deep Blue has two perspectives (I think), and it was AMAZING. Renegades has two perspectives... I'm having trouble thinking of books with strictly male POVs.

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Most books with male protagonists that I've read have split perspectives. I need to read Harry Potter one day xD... One day...

      Delete
  4. I second Chuckles' recommendation of The Extinction Trials. Those are dual POV but fun. Also Vitro by Jessica Khoury has a male POV. The Paladin Prophecy by Mark frost is another good one. Top Ten by Katie Cotugno and I think One of Us Is Lying by Karen McManus had male POV as well. I hope these help? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm getting all these amazing recommendations <3 I absolutely love it. I'll go check out all of the books you've mentioned as well!

      Delete
  5. The secrets of the immortal nicholas flamel such an amazing book but highly underrated!

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS