Book Review: Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Author: Laura Sebastian
Series: Yes - Book #1 in the Ash Princess Trilogy series.
Cover: The cover reminds me of the Red Queen series. Although the generic crown in front of a book cover has been done over ten times by now, I still enjoyed this cover. I love the dark feel that you get from the cover. A dark ash crown for an ash princess.
Rating: 4/5 I am surprised that I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would.

Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy #1)


Review: As usual, the first part of this review will be spoiler free. The second part of the review will be a rant/talk about some major spoiler points in the book. So, I've seen this book around the YA community and thought that it would be the generic "girl loses kingdom and now seeks revenge" story. In a sense, it is that type of book, but in the end, I still enjoyed the book. Also, for once in a very long time, there's a love triangle where I can't decide which guy I want Theo to go after.

The book is written in the point of Theo. To her people, the Astreans, she is Theodosia Eirene Houzzara, rightful queen of the land. To the Kalovaxians, she is Lady Thora, the Ash Princess. Theo's country was taken over by the Kalovaxians when she was only six years old. In order for her to survive under the reign of the Kaiser, she must bow, obey, and endure everything he has in store for her.




For the most part, the characters in this book aren't unique, but they are enjoyable to me. Like I said above, for the first time in a long time, I can't decide who I want Theo to pick in this love triangle. Honestly, if she decides that she doesn't want either of them, that is fine by me. Both of the men seem fine for now. I also love the ladies in this book. They're all feisty lol.

What do I love about this book? Well, the plot seemed very straightforward. Theo is a prisoner, prisoner must escape to take back her country. Here is step 1, 2, and 3. She follows those steps pretty well. There were parts in the book where I thought there would be a plot twist, but nada. I figured that Sebastian wrote each of the characters well enough that as a reader, you can tell what decision each character will make.




Now, the reason why this book is a 4 and not a 5 out of 5 is because this plot has been used so many times already. For example, Throne of Glass, The Lunar Chronicles, etc. I understand that not everyone can reinvent the wheel. I also find it funny that the Kaiser left the legit heir to the kingdom alive. The point of keeping Theo alive was to show the Astreans that it is hopeless to rebel, instead with keeping Theo alive, it gives reasons for Astreans to fight. Super facepalm moment for the Kaiser right there. 

Overall, I would recommend this book to a lot of YA readers. It reminds me a lot of Throne of Glass except with less violence. In the end, this book is just another cookie cutter book with a different frosting. I still enjoyed it none the less. Hope you enjoy it too!

!!!!!!!!!! MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD !!!!!!!!!!




So, I personally like both Soren and Blaise. I think if I had to choose between the two, I lean more towards Soren. He is willing to throw away his entire life for the sake of one girl. Blaise is sweet and all, but like he says in the books, he's protecting Theo through the wish of her father. For Blaise, I feel as if Theo is more of an obligation. I also have a feeling that Blaise will go mad as well from his gift. My final bet is that she will end up with Soren.

Now, I really liked Crescentia in the beginning. She looked after Theo and became her friend. Sadly, I would have to agree that by the end of the book, Theo was seen more as an exotic pet than a sister. Also, it's so BS that Cress lived after drinking the potion. Girl should have stayed dead. I bet she has some sort of super powers now. *Heavy Sigh*




Also, ELPIS SHOULD HAVE LIVED. My poor freaking heart.

Lastly, I did not expect Dragonsbane to be the twin sister of Theo's mom. That was a surprise to me. I wonder if there will be a conflict of interest later in the books of who is the rightful ruler. I also did not like the fact that they're keeping Soren hostage. Dude is helping you Theo. GET IT TOGETHER GIRL.

Audiobook Rating: 

I just found out that the voice actor for this book is Saskia Maarleveld, the same person who did the reading for Ace of Shades. It took me a while to get Enne and Levi out of my head and replaced them with Theo and Soren/Blaise. Overall, I enjoyed her performance in this book MUCH more than I did in Ace of Shades. I would give the performance a 4/5. 




Top 3 Favorite Characters 

Theodosia - I expected her to be a weak princess that needed a strong man to save her. In the beginning she did needed others to push her to save her kingdom. By the end of the book, that changed. She needed others to support her. She isn't all talk and no action. I'm just curious if she will develop any powers throughout the series. Part of me hopes she doesn't.

Soren - Okay, when I read the part about Soren and cats, it made my heart melt. This is a case of a good-hearted character that was ruined by a corrupt parent. I hope he will be of use to Theo & Co. more in the future. 

Blaise - Blaise is an interesting choice for me. He doesn't stick out to me much in the book. I think he's a great character because he believes in his people and Theo. He's the childhood friend in this book and the best support there is for Theo. 




Welp, that is all everyone. Did you read Ash Princess? What were your thoughts on the book? The next book I will be reading is Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones. Any thoughts about the next book I'm reading? Let me know down below :)  

4 comments:

  1. Eek, I've heard so many good things about this book! :) Glad you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think of it when you read it :)

      Delete
  2. Pretty cover! I like the use of colour and design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too Chuckles! Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS