Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Happy Thursday everyone!

I saw this book tag on Andrea's Bookish Thoughts and thought how fun it would be to do it myself. Everyone is different with different tastes. That being said, if I said I didn't like something, but you absolutely love it, that is 100% okay! If you end up doing this book tag, link it to me in the comment section. I would love to read it! Onto the tag. 

1. A popular book or series that you didn't like. 

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)


There are A LOT of books that can fit into this category. I originally loved Divergent. I remember book #1 was so amazing I couldn't wait to get my hands onto book #2. Some reason, the quality of the books just went down as the next book came along. When Allegiant came along, I was just done with the series. I thought the ending was kind of meeehhhhhh, but that is another story. 

2. A popular book or series that everyone else seems to hate but you love.

War Storm (Red Queen, #4)

It was kinda hard finding a book that was popular & hated. I guess War Storm counts?? Oh man... I remembered when I told a book group of mine that I really loved the final book of this series. A lot of the members had many many many things to critique Aveyard on in this book and although I agree with a lot of their points, it didn't mean I love the book any less. It wasn't the ending I was HOPING for, but it was an ending that I can settle for. 

3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with OR an OTP that you didn't like. 

The Midnight Star (The Young Elites, #3)

I REALLY wanted Adelina to somehow magically end up with Enzo. Magiano was cool and all, but I didn't feel it. *SPOILERS* My heart freaking broke when he died, but when he came back alive I was really hoping they would rekindle their fire (;D). But nope. Nothing like that happened *END OF SPOILERS* Basically, Adelina x Enzo.

4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.

I mean, in general I stay away from non-fiction. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but it is not something I want to read. I like listening/watching biographies, news, documentaries and such. Reading for me is getting somewhere warm and comfortable to escape into a magical world. Also a side answer, the older the book is, the less likely I'll pick up the book. 

5. A popular or beloved character that you did not like.

Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)

Now, I don't HATE Rowan, but I don't care much for him either. He seems so generic? Like he is the bad ass prince with a tragic back story. I honestly don't care much for Rowan at all. *SPOILERS* There's a part where he almost died and my first thought was "is she going to get back with Chaol? Please?! No?! Okay.... *END OF SPOILERS* Not saying the dude sucks, but he is not for me xD

6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into.

The Fault in Our Stars

So, I read TFIOS and I really did not enjoy it. I know so many people that will murder me from my high school for saying that sentence. Now, I haven't read his other works yet. I'm partially afraid to because of my experience with TFIOS. Maybe he has this stellar book that I need to read, but at this moment, John Green is going to be an author I'll postpone into reading more from. 

7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing (love triangles, lost princess, corrupt ruler, etc).

I am tired of love triangles. I do not want to build any more ships and see them crumble. I just want a character to either be successful in their story without a love interest OR have a strong stable relationship with one person. I just want a simple love life where X and Y character's relationship is strong enough that another guy or girl doesn't throw them into doubt. I don't want some insecure girl that is mad her BF is talking to some side character for more than 2 seconds. 

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)

The Harry Potter series. I can hear all the jaws dropping. I know, I know, Harry Potter is an absolute legend for our generation in terms of books. This sounds bad, but I have already seen the movies and I can't read the books now. I like reading books to discover and solve the problems within them. I can't enjoy the book now that I already know how the story goes for each book. Same concept applies for A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones. 

9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the books?

Les Misérables

Okay, this answer isn't 100% truthful. I enjoyed the book and the movie. My only gripe is that the book is soooooooo long. The movie is only better because it condenses the majority of things in the book in a neat 3 hour ish movie. So technically, the movie isn't better than the book. 

Wooooooo hooooo. Another tag done. I really like doing book tags, but I feel like my answers for all the tags are very similar to each other. It gets repetitive. If you guys have another tag that you would like me to do, please link it down below! I love answering these :) 

17 comments:

  1. Some interesting thoughts there, Elle. I didn’t love Divergent. I didn’t mind it, but had no interest reading more. I enjoy non fiction, mostly history, but I love reading about science too, especially in New Scientist. Just as well, as you need research to write - and about half of my books are non fiction for children, who love non fiction.
    You might like to check out John Green on YouTube, where he explains Shakespeare and such in terms kids can understand, and with a lot of humour - a very funny man when he isn’t writing sad stories. In fact, he wrote a hilarious one for “Let It Snow”, a book of connected stories by three well known YA writers. I’m sorry you will be missing out on the Harry Potter series - perhaps a mistake to have seen the films first! There is only so much you can fit into a film. I hope one day you will pick up a copy of the first book, browse out of curiosity and then - wow!

    I have read four of the Ice And Fire novels, but gave up on the TV series ages ago. In fact, I gave up on the books when I realised that it was a soap opera - and that the final book would never come out, because too many people who don’t actually enjoy fantasy except this one were watching the show and the show had gone too far from the books to go back. Have you noticed he is now writing spinoffs and prequels? An over-successful author now paying for it.







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love John Green as a Youtuber! I watched a lot of his Crash Course series. I think my favorite series is his World History one. I also watched Mental Floss for a while as well. One day I'll give John Green another try :)

      I know that movies cut a lot of stuff things out. It is just so hard for me personally to read something where I know what the ending is. I'll probably pick it up one day. I have seen so many people's jaw drop when I tell them I love to read, but I've never read any HP books.

      Yeah, I've heard a lot of backlash about how the final books will never be released. I know a couple of people that are mad at the show for airing. They felt like the show created a lot of pressure/ influenced Martin to write a book out of his own style. I didn't know about the spinoffs or prequels that they're writing. I do know that there is a plan to make a show based on events that happened BEFORE GoT. It'll be nteresting to see how the series ends this year.

      Delete
  2. I agree about Divergent. I didn’t love the first one, but I was interested enough to keep reading. By the end of the series, I was so irritated that I intentionally read spoilers online to see if I wanted to keep going.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg xD I did that too. When I found out that Tris died, my thoughts were "welp, I should have seen that coming".

      Delete
    2. When I told one of my secondary school students that Tris irritated me, she said, “Well, you’ll be pleased to hear she dies”. 😂

      Delete
  3. The Harry Potter books for me are way better than the films. Much more humour, characters that don't appear in the series and more feels! I love the books. Time for a re-read methinks! I agree about love triangles-I won't go near books that even hint at them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably pick up the HP series one day. I can't say specifically when, but I'll probably do a book read & movie watch comparison. Yeah love triangles in books, movies, comics etc are just way over done.

      Delete
  4. I gasped at HP. Had to. :p For what it's worth, a lot of really clever writing is left out in the movies -- I think that's one reason I can't really enjoy watching BBC's "The Last Kingdom", because the book series its based on is just brilliant in its humor and descriptions (even among all the fighting and drama), and that's absent from the show completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that Bernard Cornwall? I have read and loved his Arthurian trilogy! Not his more famous Sharpe not velds, mind you. I need to catch up.

      Delete
    2. I know I know xD I will probably pick up the HP books, but not anytime soon. It is always hard to put a book that is 10+ hours long to read down to a 2-3 hour movie. There's so much content that is left out. It'll be interesting to read the books and compare them to the movie.

      Delete
  5. I liked Divergent and Insurgent, but Allegiant, wasn't nearly as good, I agree. It wasn't even about you know what happening that had so many fans up in arms. I didn't mind that so much. It was other aspects that didn't work for me. I tend to gravitate mostly toward fiction too. I enjoy the occasional nonfiction book, don't get me wrong. I just prefer fiction.

    It's okay if you aren't into reading the Harry Potter books. I can forgive you for that. There are books I have no interest in reading that others say I should too--so I get it. The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, for example. I do want to see the tv series, but have no interest in reading the books. Gone With the Wind is another. I hated the movie and have no interest in reading the book.

    I loved the novel Les Miserables, but, yeah, that size. The musical is amazing. It would be hard for me to pick which I like better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love non fiction but just not in book form. I much prefer to see documentaries or movies about them. I'm curious to see if Roth's other books are as good or better than the Divergent series.

      Thank you so much for the forgiveness haha <3 I've heard Gone with the Wind is a good read but an extremely long one. That'll be one journey I don't know I'd be ready to take.

      I love musicals <3 I was so happy I had the chance to read and watch both versions.

      Delete
  6. Whaaa? You couldn't get into the Harry Potter series? I can agree with you on Allegiant and the Fault in Our Stars, though I might give the latter a try, but I can't excuse for this one. I mean come on, they're classic pieces of literature - referenced constantly. I mean you can understand those references without reading the books, but you won't understand the pain and struggles between the characters.

    Trust me, I know your struggle. My older brother ruined it for me, reading the series first and then dragging me along to the cinema, so I had a vague idea of how the story would go. But you must read it to appreciate the books themselves and the author. The movie is after all isn't as enjoyable as binge reading the series. You may become inspirational after reading them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the appeal in reading the books, but from the way I see it, I already know how the story will go. Although it may not be 100% correct to the book, it is probably around 75%. Plus there are so many other books that I want to read but I don't have time to read them all. If I wasn't working and I could just only read, I'd probably add HP series to my list. Not to mention that reading isn't my only hobby. I'd like to make time for other things I enjoy as well :)

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS