Burying Myself in Webtoons

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Hello everyone. Happy Saturday! Happy Cinco de Mayo if you're celebrating that as well.

Sometimes I just need a break from reading words after words after words. When days like that appear, I usually find myself reading webtoons! A webtoon is digital comic strip that is published online. Its most common in South Korea and is completely vertical. I love webtoons because of their beautiful artworks and intense story lines. The really big downside to webtoons is that it takes 1-2 weeks for a new chapter/episode to be released. 90% of the time the authors of these webtoons are working on their comic AFTER their full-time job and busy life. In this post, I'm going to list the webtoons that I'm currently reading and loving <3

1. SubZero by Junepurrr

Image result for subzero junepurrr


In a last attempt at peace, Clove, the last princess of a near extinct clan is forced into a political marriage with an enemy prince.

The artwork is soooooooo beautiful. This is the newest webtoon that I started reading and there are only 18 official episodes out. The webtoon is about two clans that have been in war for over 200 years. To stop the war, the princess needs to marry this jerk (SUPER HOT) prince. The catch is that each clan has dragon blood within them, and Clove is the last person in her clan with it. My favorite characters are Kyro and Kharis.

2. My Dear Cold-Blooded King by lifelight

Image result for my dear cold blooded king

Born a humble peasant, Kihara Mei has lived simply day by day as a merchant in the capitol, and never assumed things would change. But, one fateful day would change the course of her life, when faced with a deadly challenge against dangerous royal assassins. Now, with the eyes of the dreaded Blood King upon her, her life of simplicity would now become a tangled web of secrecy, deceit, and desire.

This webtoon is so beautiful as well. I'm currently on episode 60 and I'm all for the ship of Katsu and Mei. Everyone else can go away. There is something so beautiful of reading comics that take place in historical times. I think I just love the traditional outfits of a lot of Asian cultures. This is definitely a webtoon where the background is just as beautiful as the characters.

3. Unlovable Replacement by nylana

Image result for unlovable replacement webtoon

When his relationship went down the drain, Chiko Dyer started to develop a weird relationship with a local delivery girl.

This webtoon is hilarious. I laughed so much due to all the derp characters. The comic is currently on 35 episodes and I LOVE THEM ALL. The story hasn't quite reach anything quite climatic yet so I'm waiting to see how interesting this webtoon will be. Overall, it's a super funny webtoon and the artwork is simple and pretty. 

4. Let's Play by Mongie

Image result for let's play webtoon

Sam wants to be a game developer, but before her career can get started, a popular gaming personality posts a video of himself playing her first game and gives it a bad review. To make matters worse, she soon finds out he's her new neighbor! A story about gaming, memes, and social anxiety. Come for the plot, stay for the doggo.

Listen to the author! Come for the plot and stay for the doggo. In seriousness, this is the first webtoon that started my obsession with webtoons. There are currently 27 episodes and I just want Mongie to release like two episodes a week because of how good it is. Sam is super-duper shy, and her group of online gaming friends remind me so much of my online friends. Marshall reminds me of Markiplier, but the author has said that he is a combination of like four YouTube gamers. And yes, the dog is super cute!

5. Super Secret by eon

Image result for super secret webtoon

The boy next door, friends for life, is actually a werewolf!

THIS IS THE CUTEST WEBTOON IN ALL OF EXISTENCE!!!!!! Omg.... the drawing is cute, the characters are cute, the romance is cute, EVERYTHING is cute!!!! I love Emma, Ryan, Jasmine, Victor, and well... EVERYONE. There are 106 episodes and holy smokes it is starting to get spicy. This is the only webtoon that has made me roll around on my bed squealing in delight.

6. unOrdinary by uru-chan

Image result for unordinary webtoon

The world is not perfect. Learning to deal with its flaws is just a normal part of life. But there comes a point where these imperfections spawn a crushing realization... that something needs to change...

If you guys watch My Hero Academia the anime, the concept of this webtoon is similar. In this world, everyone is born with a super power. If you don't have one, you're worthless to society. There are 90 episodes out and they're all super well done. Although the author put this girl as her main webtoon picture, the main character is a guy named John with a goofy hairstyle LOL (you'll see why I laugh when you read the webtoon). 

7. Catharsis by Ahniki

Image result for catharsis webtoon

Fear is a powerful emotion that can end up overtaking one's life. Leon thought he knew that. But when he's thrown into the demonic realm that Catharsis governs over, he'll learn that there is more to “true” fear than he could ever have imagined... But will he learn how to face it?

This webtoon is very very pretty. The artwork is absolutely stunning. The downside to this webtoon is that the episodes are SUPER short. There are currently 153 episodes and trust me, you'll whizz through all of them ASAP. My favorite character is Paris. Love him <3

8. I Love Yoo by Quimchee

Image result for i love yoo

Dogged by pain and misfortune from the very beginning, Shin-Ae decides she wants nothing to do with people nor anything to do with romance. Although content with her unsocial, boring, loveless existence, her lifestyle is challenged after she ruins an unsuspecting strangers' clothes.

This is my favorite webtoon. As soon as my notification rings at 12 am every Friday, I am refreshing the page for the next episode. There are 52 episodes currently and the story is just so well made. The music is beautiful and fitting in the webtoon as well. PSSSSSTTTTTT the red head, (Nol/Yeong Gi) is the one I ship with Shin-Ae. 

9. Siren's Lament by instantmiso

Image result for sirens lament

Content with her ordinary life, Lyra is somewhat of a wallflower. However, her comfortable lifestyle suddenly goes astray when she accidentally plunges into the world of sirens. Entangled in a curse, Lyra will learn that her world may be a lot bigger than she had ever imagined.

The guys in this webtoon are hot btw. Just letting you know the author added all the abs into her male characters lol. There are 95 episodes out and this webtoon has a lot of music that goes along with it. The story is starting to go stale for me, but I'm still keeping up to date with the webtoon. Ian is my favorite character hands down :)

That is it everyone! All the webtoons that I'm currently reading and keeping track with. There were other webtoons that I did read a couple chapters of, but I didn't like them as much, so I dropped them. If you've read any of these webtoons let me know in the comments down below! If you have any recommendations on webtoons that I should read, let me know that as well. Thank you everyone for stopping by. 

P.S. Sorry for the weird formatting in some of the paragraphs. I tried to fix them, but I couldn't T^T 

14 comments:

  1. When I need a break, I usually binge watch an anime or my favorite movie series. But now you've talked me into checking out webtoons lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :D You can read them online at here: https://www.webtoons.com/en/ This is the website I mainly use. There is even an app version so you can read on mobile as well!

      Delete
    2. That's so cool!! I have a friend that will love these, thanks! <3

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of a webtoon, but they sound interesting! I read a lot of comics, so that's what I usually do between books. I love the artwork! I also watch a lot of anime when I need a reading break in general, lol.

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Webtoon is fairly new to the U.S. It is super popular in South Korea. It's like their version of our comic books. I love anime <3 I need to try reading comics too!

      Delete
  3. I have to take breaks from reading as well and just watch something. It's nice to have a change now and then. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Anything to help your mind relax :)

      Delete
  4. I've heard there are so many good webtoons out there and I just am so behind on discovering them! These all sound great and I feel like I want to discover some of the creative energy coming out of South Korea. Subzero and Unlovable Replacement sound like two I might like, I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe a majority of the webtoons I listed here are from American authors. I know "Let's Play" is definitely from the U.S. :D I know "I Love Yoo" and "Super Secret" are definitely from Korea. I think "Catharsis" is from Indonesia. There are content creators from all over the world! Have fun if you do read webtoons!

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of any of these, but they look interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you plan on checking out any of them, let me know!

      Delete
  6. I love reading comic books but I have never heard of these Webtoons. Now I'm really intrigued. Thanks for these recommendations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope you enjoy the abundance of webtoons that are out there!

      Delete
  7. Excellent post. I was always checking this blog, and I’m impressed! Extremely useful info specially the last part, I care for such information a lot. I was exploring this particular info for a long time. Thanks to this blog my exploration has ended. 웹툰 무료

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS