Book Review: Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: Yes - Book #6 in Throne of Glass series.
Cover: THIS COVER DOESN'T MATCH THE OTHER COVERS. I mean, it is still a very beautiful cover, but there's no Aelin :(
Rating: 5/5 This book is perfect. I loved everything about it. I cannot believe that there is just ONE more book in this series and then we're done. Over. NO MORE. There's nothing more that I love than reading a book that makes me squeal in delight.

Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)

Review: As usual everyone, this review will contain SOME spoilers, so you have been warned! If you would like, you can read my small review of Empire of Storms here. Where do I even start with this book? I love this book and I even spent some nights re-reading certain chapters. I am massively invested into the world Maas has created. 

I believe out of all the books in this series, Tower of Dawn is my favorite (maybe the last book will blow my mind). I know a lot of people hate Chaol, but NOT ME. I freaking loved Chaol the moment I met him. I'm not going to lie, I was getting a bit tired with Aelin's fiery personality and continuing the story through Chaol was perfect. Chaol finally gets his own story and I am all for it.

First, I love the new additions to the series. The sudden change from the cold stormy northern continent to the hot sunny southern continent was needed. I love that Maas added more characters to the Aelin & Co. There is definitely a more diverse set of characters in this book. We have more representation for people of color and a character that is openly gay. So, +1 points to Maas on that. 




What I loved about this book was the slow burning romance between the characters. In Empire of Storms, there were A LOT of sex scenes with very interesting word choices to describe them. In Tower of Dawn we don't get much of that. Now, I'm perfectly fine with reading sex scenes. I just don't like characters instantly falling in love and banging ASAP. The slow and steady romance in this book was just PERFECT. All those cute romance scenes made me squeal with delight! 

Onto Chaol. I know people hate the living day lights out of him, but I don't. Chaol is my favorite character in the ToG series. I love how in this book, he doesn't let his wheelchair define who he is. Chaol is stubborn, confident, and proud. He maybe wheelchair bound, but that doesn't stop him from completing his promise to Aelin and Dorian. Now, he is not perfect, and he KNOWS and ACCEPTS that. THAT is what makes a great character development story. 

Now, the timeline for Tower of Dawn is parallel to Empire of Storms. While Aelin & Co. fight in Erilea, Chaol and Nesryn are in Antica trying to convince the king of that continent to join their war. Another side quest for Chaol is to see if he can find a healer that will let him walk again. This book has three points of view from Chaol, Nesryn, and a new character, Yrene. There are two story lines in this book and they were beautifully done. 




I love all the characters in this book. Maas always finds a way to show how important characters are no matter how large their role is. All the minor characters have very distinctive personalities and they're ALL important. That takes some mad skills to do correctly and well. I also enjoy how Maas shows that the first person you love may not be the person you end up with forever. All three of the main characters had to find their identity in this book and their stories were written beautifully.

!!!!!!!!!! SPOILERS AHEAD !!!!!!!!!!

First, I have to say THANK THE GODS that Chaol and Nesryn were not together in this book. I mean they were, but then they broke it off. In the previous books, I thought that Maas just hastily put Chaol with Nesryn just for the sake of him having a partner. I'm so glad that Chaol found Yrene and Nesryn is with Sartaq. ALSO, CHAOL GOT MARRIED!!! MY BABY GOT MARRIED T^T <3

Second, I love the recovery story of Chaol. There was little action in this book especially compared to Empire of Storms. I love how Maas handled Chaol's disability. I literally shed a tear the moment Chaol took his first steps and screamed when he broke his back again. Overall, this book was about Chaol accepting his wrongs, finding himself, and realizing that he is worth much more no matter if he's standing, using a cane, or in a wheel chair. 




That GIF up there is me falling in love with Sartaq and Nesryn. This dude is SMMOOOOOOTTTTHHHHH. The moment I met him, I knew he was the one for Nesryn. I love him and his tribe of Ruk riders. I can't wait to read more about their relationship in the next book!

Can we also talk about the topic of family in this book? The royal family were hilarious. I love all their smart talk, bickering, and sizing each other up. Not to mention the love that is between them all. Nesryn and her family were super-duper adorable. Falkan being the possible uncle to Lysandra made me audibly scream. I can't wait to see the reunion of these two.

Now Maas, congratulations on creating a plot twist that I did not see coming. Maeve is a Valg QUEEN? Please. Need to add this to "Why I Hate Maeve List."  Also, the very last chapter of the book made me so sad. Poor Aelin baby :( 

Favorite Line:

Sartaq said to her, clear and steady, "I heard the spies' stories of you. The fearless Balruhni woman in Adarlan's empire. Neith's Arrow. And I knew ..."

Nesryn sobbed, tugging and tugging.

Sartaq smiled at her - gently. Sweetly. In a way she had not yet seen.

"I loved you before I ever set eyes on you," he said. 

"Please," Nesryn wept.

Sartaq's hand tightened on hers. "I wish we'd had time."




Top 3 Favorite Characters

Chaol - This should be no surprise. Chaol has been through a lot of horrible things in this series and this is his redemption arc. He finally faces his fears and becomes an even better character. I love him so much.

Nesryn - I feel so bad for Nesryn. She was Chaol's rebound twice. That. Sucks. Period. Not only that, but she then finds out her city got demolished and her family was nowhere to be found. She also had to watch Chaol flirt with Yrene. I just feel for her. She is such a strong-willed character that deserves a lot more love.

Yrene - I LOVE LOVE Yrene Towers. She is such an amazing healer. She grew up in a very rough situation and refuses to ever return back there again. Not only does she care for her patients, but she also teaches other young girls self-defense. I can't wait until she meets Aelin!




Overall, if you can't tell, YOU SHOULD READ THIS SERIES. Just do it. I cannot wait for the final book that is coming this year.  Now, I need to wait three more days for War Storm. I AM SUPER HYPED FOR IT. There is also a surprise coming next week. Stay tuned! 

Buy this book on Amazon through my link! Helps my blog greatly <3 

Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass)

9 comments:

  1. I'm skimming this since I haven't read the series and don't want to spoil anything for myself, lol. I'm on hold for the first book of this series at my library! I've heard such wonderful things about it, and I'm happy to see that it's still good at #6. It's hard to keep a story going for that long, and for it to still be enjoyable. Harry Potter, Vampire Academy, etc. are only a few that I've stuck with for a long time.

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only long series (3+ books) that I think that gets better with each book. I really hope you enjoy ToG! The first two books are pretty slow to me, but after book #3, it gets WILD. I also heard A Court of Thorns and Roses series by her is even BETTER than the ToG series. I've only read the first book so I can't say for sure xD

      Delete
  2. Do you like writing? If you do, I am hosting a WriteAThon on my blog: www.dbooksandreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried the author yet. I'm not a massive fantasy fan so it was never on my radar but it still lurks on my ereader and I plan to look at it someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Everyone has their own tastes :) I'm glad you're a person that loves supporting new authors! If you ever do plan on reading this, let me know what you think.

      Delete
  4. That's always the worst part of starting a series...there's always an end looming in the distance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially a really good series that you've been with for YEARS T^T. Thank you for stopping by Stephen!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS