Young Adult Book Endings That I Hate

Friday, May 25, 2018

Happy Friday (Saturday for some people because I posted this mad late xD...) everyone!

Starting off with a little chit chat as usual. I am a little less than halfway through Forest of a Thousand Lanterns so there should be a review of the book coming out next week! The inspiration for this post is from the ending of the Red Queen series. I hate endings that leave me unsatisfied or frustrated. I want to read books that makes me wish I could read 100 pages more or leave an aching feeling in my heart for having the series end. So here are YA endings that I dislike. I will be using examples from certain books, but I won't say the title for spoiler reasons! 

1. A Convenient Ending

 How should I describe this ending... This ending is like, Lady Luck just decided to help them. The bad guy isn't killed or captured by the skills of the characters, but by pure luck. 

For example, in this book, the Main Character's best friend is long dead. These angel warriors could have prevented ALL of this from happening earlier, but they decided not to and let the bad guy roam free. Then at the very end, they reversed time to make sure the BF never died. Um....excuse me? What's the point of writing three books to lead to THIS ending? It is like the author wanted a happy ending so badly they just twisted the plot to make it work.

2. The Ending That Doesn't Feel Like An Ending

This is the type of ending that leaves you on a cliffhanger. I'm not talking about book #1 leaving you hanging, but the FINAL BOOK of the series leaving you hanging.

For example, in a book that I've read, the MC is trapped in an organization that she doesn't want to be a part of in the final book. She saved her best friend from near death and now the Org. wants to include her best friend in it. The MC threatens the Org. that she'll get revenge and will find a way to leave one day. That's it. We never know if she actually makes it out or not BECAUSE IT ENDS RIGHT THERE.

3. The Ending Doesn't Sound Right...




I don't know how to explain this one clearly. It's like the tone of the book just changed. We get 300 pages of dark, mysterious, and dangerous themes and the last 50 pages it's all sunshine and rainbows.

An example would be of one where the MC is in a competition for the love of her life. There is a wedding, and everything is all nice, beautiful, and joyful. Then the rebellion army comes in and kills MANY people. Like...what? 

4. God(s) Decides To Give A Helping Hand

This ending is when the characters are failing HARD, but they won anyway through the help of some superior being. The characters didn't win their battles through their hard work, but only through the superior being taking pity on them.

The example for this one would be in this book about angels and demons. The demon and angel hate each other but they both love the same girl. The demon DIES and the human girl literally ASKS God if he can come back to life. Guess what? The dude comes back to life and the angel dude goes "Oh .... Well looks like God wants you two to be together so I'll stop bothering you now." What?

5. It Was All A Dream

This ending is self-explanatory. The author writes 500 pages of content only to say, "It was just a prank bro." Literally, I spent time reading this and you tell me it was a dream? Seriously... This is the ending that will make me hate a book faster than any of the other endings here. 

6. The Ending That Should Have Ended 50 Pages Ago




There are some books where the conflict is over around 50 pages ago, but the author continues to keep writing. Honestly, this is a problem for books I don't particularly love. It is like I'm tired of the story and I just want it to end. So please let it end.

An example would be a certain series that should have been only a trilogy. Instead the author wrote TWO more books that have nothing to do more than a book version of The Bachelor. Seriously, the last two books should have been novellas. 

7. The Ending That Ended 50 Pages Too Early

This is the opposite from the ending above. The book just ends immediately after the problem is solved. That's it. We're done. Wrap it up!

Example? Well in this series, the oppressed group of people won the war and it's over. That's it. We don't know if the kingdom becomes a republic or stays a kingdom. Or if the oppressed are still oppressed. BUT we know they won. Cool.

8. Love, Live, Laugh Ending

This is the ending where everyone gets a happy ever after. Now, I love happy endings. It's not a completely bad ending, but there are some series where this ending does not make sense. 

Example, in this series the two lovers did something that was unlawful. They will be killed along with their family. The family and friends stick together to fight back against the law. They all train and come together ready to fight. At the VERY LAST MOMENT, someone sees the future and shows the chaos that can happen if the two opposing sides fight. So, they both decide not to, and everyone goes home and lives happily ever after. THE END. No one dies, there are no punishments. EVERYONE is happy. 

9. EVERYONE DIES ENDING!




Why would anyone do this to my heart? My babies.... They're all dead. Like why? Did they all need to die?

10. PLOT TWIST Ending

This ending is a hit or miss. Sometimes the plot twist can be SO FREAKING AWESOME I SCREAM, AND I CAN'T HELP BUT TYPE IN CAPS. While others are so bad I just groan. The best thing about plot twists is that you don't see it coming. It's worse if you don't see it coming AND it doesn't fit with the rest of the book. 

Example from a book I've read. In this book, MC & Co. are at the final boss. They defeat the final boss only to find out that they were being used by ANOTHER group. That group wanted MC & Co. to kill the bad guy so that this group and come in and steal the show. 

11. No One Gets A Happy Ending

This one just makes me sad. The ending is usually a "good" ending, but it doesn't mean that characters are happy with that ending.

For example, in this series, the MC and her boyfriend/husband want children in the future. Unfortunately, the government has taken all her eggs so that she'll never be able to have kids ever again. She lost her family, her city is destroyed, she can't have kids ever, AND she needs to see other people raise kids through using her eggs. That's messed up...




Welp. That's it everyone! These are some endings that bug the living daylights out of me. Of course, every YA book is different. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll read a book, and EVERYONE dies, and I think "Good. I like that ending." Nothing is perfect. Overall, this is just a small blog rant :P Everyone has different opinions on things. If there's another type of ending that you guys hate, let me know!

P.S. If you guys guess any of these books, let me know in the comments below!

10 comments:

  1. I hate an unsatisfying reason. My pet hate is a series that finishes without a proper ending or where it just doesn't fit where the book was going. That drives me nuts! I don't need a HEA but I do like to see some kind of satisfying ending, like maybe The Hunger Games. It's not fully happy but there is resolution. Great post Elle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Chuckles <3 I agree with you there, it doesn't have to be a 100% completely happy ending, but at least solve the conflict that was present.

      Delete
  2. Ugh, so true! I like the plot twist endings- but only when they actually work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rarely, do I think they work because how random they are xD

      Delete
    2. Sadly true. There are times where the author just puts them there for the sake of having a plot twist (and wrecks the whole story).

      Delete
    3. Yeah those are the absolute worst :/

      Delete
  3. I've been curious about Forest of a Thousand Lanterns. I hope it's good!

    And these are so good! I agree with #s 2 and 4 SO much. I need an ending, one way or another. Oh and I'm a sucker for a good plot twist... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My review for Forest of a Thousand Lanterns should be out soon! It is finals week for me, making it a tad hard to read. So far I would say it is an alright book. There is definitely a bit of trigger warning materials. It isn't a book that I whizz by, but I am not slugging through it either.

      Agree, there must be an end eventually. Just some authors do it better than others :P

      Delete
  4. Oh this list speaks to me on so many levels, and so many endings! The thing that irritates me the most is when the author twists the plot to give the characters their happy ending. Why!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It is okay to have a "bad" ending. They just need to make it work!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS