Book Review: Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Author: Ashley Poston
Series: Yes - Book #1 in the Heart of Iron series.
Cover: I think the cover fits perfectly with the book. I can imagine a city in space looking like that. Curious to see if it is possible to have a city like that in space though.
Rating: 3/5 First, I was enjoying the book pretty nicely, but then it went downhill for me towards the end. 

Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1)

Review: I finished this book almost a month ago. Sorry for the looooonnnnnggggg wait. Unfortunately, it means I don't remember 100% of the details of this book. Therefore, this review might be a tad off. To make this short and simple, this book was a 3/5 for me because it was predictable the first half and the second half was the weirdest whirlwind for me. 

This book reminds me of the princess Anastasia story. A kingdom has been waiting 1000 years for a female heir to be born. Finally, the kingdom got what they wanted, the long-waited princess. Unfortunately, the robots of their kingdom rebelled and killed the royal family. What will the kingdom do now????? 

I haven't read a book that takes place in space since... The Lunar Chronicles. Needless to say, I was very excited to read this book. Surprisingly, it didn't meet my expectations. Heart of Iron is a very very very fast paced book. If I remember correctly, I think the entire book happens in one week? Like EVERYTHING happens so fast. The "plot twist", reveal, and love stories of the characters. I think I would have preferred if Poston split this book in two and added more detail to the characters, plot, and world building.

I do love the variety of characters in this book. I don't think there is a "normal" relationship in this book. I would like to know if there are aliens in this book? Like is Jax an alien? I mean... normal humans don't exactly have those gifts. Also, all of the Ironbloods, what are they? What about the prophecy? I would have loved to learn more about the history or background of these characters. 



Although the book is fast paced, I really enjoyed how fast we got to the "Lost Princess". 90% of the time, when a book talks about a lost princess and the main character is a girl... I think it's pretty obvious to readers who the lost princess is lol... I semi enjoyed the multiple points of views. I think this book might have been better if Poston just stuck with Ana and Robb's POVs.

What I didn't like, was how weird it got for me towards the end of the book. I honestly thought this book would have been more sci-fi (its categorized as sci-fi), but the only thing very sci-fi about this book is SPACE PIRATES and "light swords". I just feel like Poston could have made this book so much better if she took the extra time to expand more. It also felt like Poston put certain characters in relationships just to have everyone in a relationship. I'm simply not a fan of insta-love. 

Would I recommend this book? Sure, if you're pretty open minded. If you're looking for a book that you can dive and immerse yourself into, this is not it. I'd say this book is just for a simple read. Something more of a filler to get to the next book. 

!!!!!!!!!! MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD !!!!!!!!!!

Ana is a bit of a snob... I mean... she literally got multiple people killed with zero punishments lol. I'm not going to lie, I feel like her relationship with Di is a bit weird. I understand that he was human? But he's a robot now... He's dead... She is in love with a machine that won't age. Unless there is some magic that will happen in book #2 that will turn him human.



I really loved Jax and Robb's relationship. Although I think it was a tad funny how often they kept talking about kissing each other. Just kiss already lol. I really don't enjoy how fast it developed. It was an easy insta- love. They barely know each other...

Since this book is a retelling of Anastasia, the plot is very very very predictable. I think it takes the enjoyment out of the book. What I loved about the retellings in The Lunar Chronicles, is that it wasn't 100% cookie cutter from the "Disney" version. Cinder didn't get a glass slipper by the end of book #1, she got her old LEG in book #4 or how Scarlet doesn't kill the wolf and instead loves him. This book was just too similar to the movie Anastasia. Add a little twist in there Poston. Please and thank you. 

Audiobook Rating:

I would give Adenrele Ojo a 4/5. I think she did a great job portraying Ana. She was amazing in all the crying, scream, and sass that Ana did. Maybe she did it a little TOO well. Sometimes hearing the intense crying that Ana does is a tad funny. It all felt over dramatic for me. Other than that, great job Ojo!

Top 3 Favorite Characters

Jax - This guy is just cool. I really want to explore his life, planet and powers more. I wish this book was focused on Jax & Robb a lot more. He has so much potential to steal the show.

Robb - I love Robb. I love how much you get to know about him and his life. He is smart, witty, and determined. He never gave up on his goals. I think out of all the characters, he grew the most.

Siege (???) / Adoptive Mother of Ana - I'm sorry I forgot her name... She is just a plain bad ass. She was a part of the royal bloods in the kingdom but left that life to become one of the baddest pirates in space. Also, her hair sounds like it would look fabulous. 



Welp, that is all everyone. Sorry it took so long to get this review out. Props to you if you read EVERYTHING I wrote here. The next book I'll be reading is Spelled by Betsy Schow. Let me know your thoughts if you've read this book or the book I'm about to read. Thank you! Also, HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

2 comments:

  1. Doesn’t sound like my cup of tea, I’m afraid. If you are interested in SF and the Romanoffs and robot rebellion, you might like to try Jay Kristoff’s LIFEL1K3. I got a copy from my great niece, who works in a bookshop. I found the heroine very irritating and wanted to give her a good kick up the backside at times, but there were other characters I liked and the SF elements were a bit better than space pirates! The world building was impressive - sort of a Mad Max world - and the story exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just added LIFEL1K3 on my TBR list! I was recommended by a friend of mine to check that book out :) Looks like I have 2 people now that would want me to read it!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS