2018: A Year in Review

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy Tuesday everyone!

I was reading Literary Feline's Year in Review and figured that I should write one for my own blog. She got her questions off of Jamie's blog at The Perpetual Page Turner. Overall, this is my first official full year of blogging. I have had many great reads in books, blogs, and other reviews. It has been an amazing wonderful year of blogging. Do you all have any New Year resolutions? I'm trying to lose weight, blog/read more, and get better at my job :) Okay, onto the review!

** 2018 READING STATS **

Number of books read: 22
Number of re-reads: 0
Genre most read: YA & Fantasy
Pages read: 9,302
Average rating: 4.0/5

** BEST IN BOOKS **

1. Best book you read in 2018?

This was such a hard choice for me, but I think my overall favorite is Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas. 

Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love more but didn't?

That would easily be Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones. I loved the cover of the book and I recently watched a drama about a goblin king looking for a bride as well. This was the biggest let down of the year in terms of books. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake BLEW ME AWAY. I sped through this book so fast. I instantly fell in love with all the characters, plot, and world. It wasn't what I was expecting. Also, I think this book has my favorite cover of the year. 

4. Book you "pushed" the most people to read (and they did)?

I didn't push anyone to read any books this year xD

5. Best series you started in 2018? Best sequel of 2018? Best series ender of 2018?

Best series started is The Last Namsara by Kristin Ciccarelli. 

Best sequel is Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi.

Best ender is War Storm by Victoria Aveyard. 

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?

This would have to be Kristin Ciccarelli. Her writing style captured me fully into her world. I can't wait to start the second book in the series.

The Last Namsara (Iskari, #1)

7. Best book from a genre you don't typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

The only book that was weird for me to read was Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink & Jeffrey Crannor. 

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Easily Warstorm. I bought that book at midnight the day it released. Zero regrets. 

War Storm (Red Queen, #4)


9. Book you read in 2018 that you would be MOST likely to re-read next year?

None of them!!! I don't really do re-reads. I may skim the book a bit to get a refresher for the sequel.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?

Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)

11. Most memorable character in 2018?

Nova from Renegades by Marissa Meyer. She is such a bad-ass. 

Renegades (Renegades, #1)

12. Most beautifully written book of 2018?

The Last Namsara. I love the writing style. I'm no English expert but the way Ciccarelli writes is gorgeous. 

13. Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2018?

None.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read? 

None.

15. Favorite passage/quote from a book that you read in 2018?

"I see a vision of the night I'd first run away from our home, when we touched our foreheads together. I do this now, resting my forehead on hers, and I rock her back and forth, begging her once again, in vain, not to leave me."
 - The Midnight Star by Marie Lu

16. Shortest & Longest book you read in 2018?

Shortest is The Crown by Kiera Cass. 

Longest is Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas. 

17. Book that shocked you the most?

The Hidden by Jessica Verday. I did not see that ending coming. The ending was shit. 

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship).

Cal & Mare. No arguments. Don't even try to change my decision on this.

19. Favorite non-romantic relationship of 2018?

Theodosia and Crescentia in Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian. I kept going back and forth of loving and hating Cress. It was so interesting to see if she loved Theo for real or saw her as a pet. I had an inner debate about their relationship throughout the book.

20. Favorite book you read in 2018 from an author you've read previously?

Tower of Dawn by Sarah J. Maas. 

21. Best book that you read in 2018 that you read based SOLEY on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure/bookstagram etc.?

I received Welcome to Night Vale as a birthday present and felt bad if I didn't read it. 

Welcome to Night Vale (Night Vale, #1)

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?

Adrian from Renegades!!!

23. Best debut you read in 2018?

The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli. This is the third time I've mentioned how much I love this book xD

24. Best world building/most vivid setting you read this year? 

Ohh... this is such a hard question to answer. If I had to pick a world to live in out of all the books I read this year, I'd probably pick the world of Renegades. The least likely world for me to die in :)

25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read?

Most fun would be Renegades. I love the variety of superpowers people have in the book and how dorky Adrian is <3 

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2018? 

None!

27. Hidden gem of the year?

Of Dreams and Rust by Sarah Fine. It is an okay book. I think more people should check out this book when you have a chance. 

Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)

28. Book that crushed your soul?

War Storm. I WANTED A CLEAR ENDING. Please Aveyard... whyyyyy????

29. Most unique book you read in 2018?

Welcome to Night Vale for sure. That book is weird on top of weird. 

30. Book that made you the most mad (doesn't necessarily mean you didn't like it)?

Wintersong easily. I just wanted to throw my phone out the window of my car while listening to this book. 

** YOUR BLOGGING & BOOKISH LIFE **

1. New favorite book blog/Bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2018?

Book blog is Chuckles @ Chuckles Book Cave

2. Favorite post you wrote in 2018?

Too hard to decide!

3. Favorite bookish photo you took in 2018?

This picture on my Instagram.  I tried to get this picture posted but it wouldn't work >:


4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signing, festival, virtual events, etc.)?

None. 

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life?

All the new friends I have made from blogging :)!




6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year?

Finding time to read/write.

7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be views or comments)?

My book review of War Storm by Victoria Aveyard. 

8. A post you wished that got a little more love?

Hmmm.... I can't decide. I think everything is a hit or miss xD

9. Best bookish discover (book related, book stores, etc.)?

Ada's Technical Books!!! It is a coffee/book shop. I walked in and I felt like Belle in Beauty and the Beast when Belle walks into the library. 

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

On Goodreads I put 8 books and I read 22. So, I guess I blasted that out of the water!

** LOOKING AHEAD **

1. One book you didn't get to in 2018 but will be your #1 priority in 2018?

Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas. I MUST read this next year.

Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)

2. Book you are most anticipating for 2019 (non-debut)?

One Dark Throne by Kendare Blake.

3. 2019 Debut you are most anticipating?

Defy Me by Tahereh Mafi.

4. Series ending/a sequel you are most anticipating in 2019?

KINGDOM OF ASH BY SARAH J. MAAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.  One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2019?

Finish 20 books and write reviews for all of them :)

Phew... That was a long post. 2018 has been a wild year. What were your "Year in Review" posts? Link them to me in the comments. I would love to read how your year went! Cheers to the new year!!!!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I'm really flattered, thank you! I did my review of the year posts right through December with Blogmas which was a lot of fun-narrowed it down to top 12 favourite books but no fewer! I hope we can both get book reviews done sooner after reading them but I have a vbacklog of 40 from lasy tear first! Argh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course Chuckles <3 You're absolutely the sweetest! The end of the year always seems like a whirlwind of things to do. 40 things to write about is a long long list. I know you can do it though!

      Delete
  2. Haha, I love that monkey gif. So cute! It looks like you had a pretty successful reading/blogging year. Happy 2019!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It has been an interesting first year of blogging :) I hope your year was just as well or even better. Happy 2019!!!

      Delete
  3. I read Tower of Dawn this year too and LOVED it! Those characters are amazing! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Kingdom of Ash :)

    Megan @ http://www.booksbirds.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to read Kingdom of Ash. The Throne of Glass series may become my favorite series of all time. Every single book in that series, I finished within 5 days. They're just so good! I can't wait haha.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you’ve had quite an exciting year in reading! Really? You don’t do rereads? Sometimes the only way I can persuade myself to finish a book is by pr9miding myself an immediate reread! And comfort reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason why I don't like doing re-reads is because I already know an ending to the book. I usually just do a very very fast skim through the book just to get refreshers on characters and general plot. I understand that everyone is different! I know people that do more re-reads than reading new books!

      Delete
  5. I love the Three Dark crowns series! And Welcome to Night Vale- I haven't read the book but I tried the podcast, and um yeah- it IS weird lol. I imagine the book is too! I didn't get very far :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to like 4 episodes of the Podcast and unfortunately, it is not for me xD I think the series has a small niche that is also a hardcore fan base as well.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year! Wintersong was a very big let down for me too, I could not for the life of me stand the protagonist.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS