Book Review: The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli

Friday, June 8, 2018




Author: Kristen Ciccarelli
Series: Yes - Book #1 in the Iskari series.
Cover: Very unique cover. Love the choice of the cover being gray scale with the words in bright gold. The tip of the blade provides a very eye-catching picture.
Rating: 5/5 This book is something else. I'm not an English major or an English expert but I love the writing style of Ciccarelli. She just pulls me in with the way she writes. I loved every single page of this book. I heard all the hype for this book and I 100% agree that this book is that great. 

The Last Namsara (Iskari, #1)

Review: Like always, there is one section to this review that will be very SPOILERY in the second half. You can read it or not, up to you! First things first, I LOVE THIS BOOK. I was in my finals week at school, so I couldn't read this book continuously for hours on end. If I didn't have finals, I guarantee you I would have finished this book in a day. 

This book easily makes it to one of my top favorite YA books. The book focuses on Asha, a heroine that hunts down dragons by herself. As you read the book, there are two stories that are being told, one through the point of view from Asha, and the other is through stories that the world has deemed forbidden. Through Asha and these stories, we understand the basis, history, and currency of the world. They both explain why in society certain things are the way they are. 

Ciccarelli does an amazing job tying both the stories of the present and the past together. It was easy for me to understand the structure and races of the world Asha lives in. Very quickly, a lot of my questions were answered. We learn about the reasons that Asha hunts dragons, why there is a Namsara and an Iskari, and why are stories forbidden. I don't think I have any more questions to ask because the author answered them before I even needed to ask. 

So, the characters in this book were amazing. I don't know if it is because I'm comparing them to the horrible selection of characters in Forest of a Thousand Lanterns I recently read or if because these characters are truly interesting. None of the characters were "ground breaking." We have a strong heroine Asha, the lover slave Torwin, the bad guy Jarek (Jarek the Jerk), and the best friend to the protagonist, Safire. Each of the characters are lovable in their own way and all the minor characters serve a function throughout the story. The characters weren't OUTSTANDING, but they were all enjoyable to read and see (except Jarek the Jerk). 



Honestly, this book could have been a standalone. The fact that it ISN'T has peeked my interest. I am really curious on how the next book will be considering how well Ciccarelli wrapped up this book. Overall, I really recommend people who love YA, Fantasy, Dragons, and Romance to read this book. My sister is currently reading this book (around 40% through) and she loves it as well. If I enjoy this series, I am buying it for my mini library collection. Book #2 comes out this year and I can't wait to get my hands on it. 

!!!!!!!!!!! MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD !!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, from here on out, it is all spoilers. I'll be talking about a lot of major points that happen in the book. You have been warned, so don't be mad if you read something you didn't want to!

I've read a couple of dragon books here and there. I would say about 90% of them are books that revolve around "kill dragons so that X may live/survive." Although the book does start off like that, I love how Asha learns that people and dragons were always supposed to live in peace until her people enslaved the skral. Dragons are such amazing creatures that have always been portrayed as the "bad guy" and I'm so happy that this book made something else the bad guy. Speaking of that, I cried when Shadow died. Granted, it was 2am and I have been sleep deprived all week, making me mad emotional. 

You know what was different in this book compared to other YA books? Asha was in the wrong. She wasn't the pretty princess that everyone loved. She was the opposite. She is scarred, she is a murderer, she is someone everyone fears. Usually when reading YA, we want the protagonist to be right and root for her. In The Last Namsara, reading Asha killing dragons FELT wrong. I wanted her to stop and question what she was doing. 

Yo, Jarek (Jarek the Jerk) deserved to die. He's the classic arranged marriage bad guy. That was a given. What I didn't see coming was the dad being an absolute a-hole. He was willing to murder his entire FAMILY for his ideals. Like what the heck bro? I must hand it to him that he is a very smart man to hide his murderous methods, but still, he's messed up.



Now, the romance in this book is so freaking cute. It felt almost an instalove in my opinion, but it wasn't a full force instalove. I love that Torwin was in love with Asha the moment he met her ages ago. I love that their romance wasn't rushed in the book. Heck, they didn't even kiss until like six chapters away from the end. The last chapters when they said their vows, omg.... I was rolling around on my bed saying "YES! YES! YES!" The ship has sailed ladies and gents. 

As stated above, I'm curious what the second book will contain. Who will be the bad guy in book #2? What new stories will Asha and Torwin find? Will book two start exactly where book #1 left off? So many questions and I am so excited for book #2. 

Favorite Line: 

 In her bare feet, with the esparto grass brushing against her knees, Asha felt... unsheathed. The wind tugged at her hair. The night air kissed her scarred skin. She'd thought standing armorless before a watching dragon would make her feel vulnerable and exposed. And she did feel those things. But she felt something else too.

Unfettered.

Wild.

Free.

Top 3 Favorite Characters

Asha - This girl is a plain warrior. Remember what a dragon is? Huge beasts that are bigger than elephants, have wings, fangs, talons, and breathe fire. Now imagine hunting them. Now, imagine hunting one per week. That is how strong she is. She doesn't even have magic powers. She just whacks them with an axe. She walks with her head held high. Powerful and she knows it too.

Torwin - Sweet. Cute. Freckles. Loverboy. I'm such a sucker for those cheesy romantic guys. Freaking love him beyond the moon and back. SO. CUTE.

Safire - I always love a best friend in books. They are the absolute best. A best friend knows what to do without you even needing to ask them. That's what Safire is to Asha. I love their dynamic. Not only that, but Safire is also very strong. She is also very smart as well, knowing when and where to fight and participate in debates. Best friends are the best.



WOO HOO!!! That is it everyone! Overall, I really enjoyed the book. If you've read the book, who are your favorite characters? Was there a certain part you loved in the books? Would you personally recommend this book to anyone else? Until next time!  

14 comments:

  1. So I clearly need to add this book to my TBR now...
    Lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yes. Read it. Review it. Tell me about it. I can't wait to see your thoughts on it!

      Delete
    2. I will! But it may be a month or two until I can get my hands on it!

      Delete
    3. That's perfectly fine! I get my books from the library, so I'm used to waiting. Plus there are like 60 bajillion other books to read :)

      Delete
    4. Same! I can hardly ever buy a book when it's new, even if it's been a year and a half it's too expensive. My library is where I get a lot of books that I'm not sure if I'll love or not. (You don't want to buy a book and keep it unless you love it!)

      Delete
    5. EXACTLY! I only buy the books after I've read it and determined that I love it. Then the book enters my collection. I'm waiting for a steady amount of income to come in first before I buy books like there's no tomorrow. For now, I'm just keeping tabs on books I like!

      Delete
    6. That's a good idea, that's what I usually do. But when someone takes me to a thriftstore and I find a book for a dollar, it goes out the window for me.

      Delete
    7. xD speaking of thrift store shopping, I found the Divergent series for 10 dollars total. Such a steal for me <3

      Delete
    8. Haha, wow. I bought all of them when they first came out because my brothers were hooked on the series too- so they chipped in Lol. The only one I don't have is Four, but I did read it from the library.

      Delete
    9. Awww that's nice of them! How was Four? I haven't read it either and debating if I should. I wasn't interested in him much.

      Delete
  2. I only read the first part of your review of this one because it is on my TBR pile. I am so glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this book! Let me know what you think of it after you finish reading it :) *fingers crossed*

      Delete
  3. I have this book on my wishlist for sooooo long now, I guess I definitely have to get and read it. The cover alone is so promising! Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. If you end up reviewing it, I can't wait to read it!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS