The Next Five (#3)

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Hello everyone! Happy Saturday to you all~

Here are the next five books that I will be reading. It's almost summer where I'm at and it's currently 58F with pouring rain. Personally, I don't like the heat and rainy weather is the best weather for reading! So as usual, I only read one book at a time and I'm not the speediest reader either. I only read when there is a bit of time in my day to do so. All these books will be on a 5-scale rating when I finish them. If you've read any of the books I've listed, let me know in the comments what your thoughts on them were! No spoilers please :) Here are my thoughts of the books from reading the description of them.

1. Reign of the Earth by A.C. Gaughen

Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)

Shalia is a proud daughter of the desert, but after years of devastating war with the adjoining kingdom, her people are desperate for peace. Willing to trade her freedom to ensure the safety of her family, Shalia becomes Queen of the Bonelands.

But she soon learns that her husband, Calix, is motivated only by his desire to exterminate the Elementae—mystical people who can control earth, wind, air, and fire. Even more unsettling are Shalia’s feelings for her husband’s brother, which unleash a power over the earth she never knew she possessed—a power that could get her killed. As rumors of a rebellion against Calix spread, Shalia must choose between the last chance for peace and her own future as an Elementae.

So right off the bat, this book is about elementalists. I love books that involve people controlling elements. I don't particularly know why I enjoy books like this so much. It is just awesome to have super powers in general. I'm curious about how much power does her husband have. Since he is hell bent on killing the Elementae, it most likely means he has no powers what so ever. So, does that mean Shalia is physically stronger than him? What is stopping her from overthrowing her husband?

2. Roar by Cora Cormack

Roar (Stormheart, #1)

In a land ruled and shaped by violent magical storms, power lies with those who control them.

Aurora Pavan comes from one of the oldest Stormling families in existence. Long ago, the ungifted pledged fealty and service to her family in exchange for safe haven, and a kingdom was carved out from the wildlands and sustained by magic capable of repelling the world’s deadliest foes. As the sole heir of Pavan, Aurora’s been groomed to be the perfect queen. She’s intelligent and brave and honorable. But she’s yet to show any trace of the magic she’ll need to protect her people.

To keep her secret and save her crown, Aurora’s mother arranges for her to marry a dark and brooding Stormling prince from another kingdom. At first, the prince seems like the perfect solution to all her problems. He’ll guarantee her spot as the next queen and be the champion her people need to remain safe. But the more secrets Aurora uncovers about him, the more a future with him frightens her. When she dons a disguise and sneaks out of the palace one night to spy on him, she stumbles upon a black market dealing in the very thing she lacks—storm magic. And the people selling it? They’re not Stormlings. They’re storm hunters.

Legend says that her ancestors first gained their magic by facing a storm and stealing part of its essence. And when a handsome young storm hunter reveals he was born without magic, but possesses it now, Aurora realizes there’s a third option for her future besides ruin or marriage. 

She might not have magic now, but she can steal it if she’s brave enough. 

Challenge a tempest. Survive it. And you become its master.

Ohhhhhhhh another book where someone can control the elements. So, side note, wind is my favorite element. RIP, Aurora has zero powers. I'm actually cool with that. Protagonists that are flawed are one of my favorite types of protagonists. It usually means they need to use their charisma, wit, and intelligence to solve their problems. "Dark and brooding prince" hahaha I feel like that's all princes in YA books. Aurora, honey, shopping in black markets rarely ever turn out well. That's why they're in the black market in the first place! "Challenge a tempest. Survive it. And you become its master." OH SNAP. I'm excited to read this book. It has me captivated in its world. 

3. Restore Me by Tahereh Mafi

Restore Me (Shatter Me, #4)  

Juliette Ferrars thought she'd won. She took over Sector 45, was named the new Supreme Commander, and now has Warner by her side. But she's still the girl with the ability to kill with a single touch—and now she's got the whole world in the palm of her hand. When tragedy hits, who will she become? Will she be able to control the power she wields and use it for good?

So, I found out book #4 in the Shatter Me series was being made in October of last year. I put a hold of the book in my local library on March 9th, the day the book was available, and I was placed #16 in the eBook waiting line and there are only 4 copies available. Guys, it is June 9th and I'm only #6. HELP ME! I JUST WANT TO READ THE BOOK! I need to know what happens to Juliette. Everyone is telling me this book will rip my heart out. I don't want it to rip my heart out but at the same time I DOOOOOOOO. Please people that are borrowing this book, read it faster for me <3 Thank you.

4. The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa 

The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3)

My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.

Ahhhh, Meghan, we meet again. Man, part of me wants to drop this series, but so many people are telling me to push through it. I recently read another person's thought on the series and she said it was a very "juvenile" series. You know what? She is 100% correct. I can see why I loved this book when I was in middle school. As for now, not so much. HOPEFULLY this book is better than book #2. It is a SEVEN books series. I don't know if I can read that many books about a mediocre protagonist. *Please please please let this book be better than book #2*

5. Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh

Reign of the Fallen (Reign of the Fallen, #1)

Odessa is one of Karthia's master necromancers, catering to the kingdom's ruling Dead. Whenever a noble dies, it's Odessa's job to raise them by retrieving their souls from a dreamy and dangerous shadow world called the Deadlands. But there is a cost to being raised--the Dead must remain shrouded, or risk transforming into zombie-like monsters known as Shades. If even a hint of flesh is exposed, the grotesque transformation will begin.

A dramatic uptick in Shade attacks raises suspicions and fears among Odessa's necromancer community. Soon a crushing loss of one of their own reveals a disturbing conspiracy: someone is intentionally creating Shades by tearing shrouds from the Dead--and training them to attack. Odessa is faced with a terrifying question: What if her necromancer's magic is the weapon that brings Karthia to its knees?

So, this book is different from a lot of other YA books that I've read. It focuses on the Dead. Very interesting... Odessa is a necromancer and that sounds like a pretty wicked job. I don't know about you, but I watch Ask a Mortician on YouTube a lot and I have a morbid curiosity for the dead. I'm not obsessed with the dead! Just curious xD I'm very interested on where this book will take me. It is a different story than one that I'm used to in YA. 

That is it everyone! The next five books that I will be reading. I'm most excited to read Restore Me and least excited to read The Iron Queen. Which books are you excited to read in general? Let me know in the comments down below :) Happy reading! 

13 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've heard of Roar it's on my TBR.
    Great post! I plan to read Guarded Heart by Addison Carmichael next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Roar <3 I've seen Guarded Heart around. Wish you the best of luck in your reading adventure!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! And good luck in yours! :D

      Delete
  2. They all look fabulous, and I've seen good reviews for most of 'em. I'm curious about Sarah Glenn Marsh' since I read her book Fear the drowning deep a year or two ago. Restore Me looks awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! What did you think of her other book? Was her writing style captivating in your opinion? I love the covers of the Shatter Me Series <3

      Delete
    2. I liked Fear the Drowning Deep but didn't love it- but I liked it enough to definitely read another of her books. It was very atmospheric, set on a remote isle with lots of folklore/ mythological elements, and I liked that!

      Delete
    3. Ohhhh! Thank you for that insight. I'll look forward to reading her book. Reign of the Fallen is her newest book, so she probably has gotten a lot better with her writing. I'll check out her other books as well!

      Delete
  3. Rainy weather does make the best reading weather. Unfortunately, it will be awhile before we see another rainy day where I live probably.

    All of these books sound good! I haven't read any of them, but a couple at least are on my wish list. I haven't heard of Roar before, but I am in love with that cover! I will have to add that one to my wish list as well. I hope you enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have about a week of rain/clouds left until it becomes full on sun.

      Thank you very much! I am a person that loves to pick books by their covers. I hope I'll enjoy reading these!

      Delete
  4. The Iron Fey series is one of my ALL-TIME FAVORITES. I've really been wanting to do a re-read soon. Puck is adorkable and hilarious! I hope you continue to enjoy the series!

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puck is honestly my favorite character in the series. I've heard a lot of people loving this series. I hope it's one of those books that gets better as it goes on!

      Delete
  5. I read the first Iron Fey book and thought it was ok but never continued with the series. I loved the covers though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are beautiful! I really loved the first book, but the second book didn't feel amazing to me. I hope the third book will bring an awesome punch.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS