When Books Become Movies

Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Happy Wednesday everyone!

So, if you asked me what I did this past week, I would say that I was preparing greatly for the next stage of my life. Or maybe I was doing some mad spring cleaning and was able to throw away all the papers that were in my room. Maybe I went on a romantic getaway in Hawaii and swam with the dolphins. Reality though... I was watching movies that were inspired by books that I've read. This post is my thoughts on them. 

1. Twilight (2008)
Image result for twilight

I watched this movie when it came out in 2018 (I was 12 back then lol...) and I have to say, I did not remember this movie being so cringy. I felt as if it was authentic to the book as much as possible. I mean, you're trying to shove 500 pages (about 12 hours of reading time) into a two-hour movie. I understand that they can't fit everything word for word. Also, I felt Edward was much more romantic in the books... In the movie...he's so...creepy? I had a good laugh though. The actors definitely grew into their roles by the last movie.

2. The Hunger Games (2012)

Image result for the hunger games official poster

I remember being soooooo judgmental for this movie in high school. I was one of those "I read the books before they became a movie" *flips hair* person LOL. Surprisingly, I remember thoroughly enjoying the movie when I went to see it. Re-watching it five days ago, I got to say I still thoroughly enjoy the movie. The cast was fantastic. Josh Hutcherson is such a cutie. I loved loved loved the soundtrack for this movie as well. SO GOOD!

3. The Giver (2014) 

Image result for the giver movie

This was a movie that I've never seen before. I read the book when I was 10??? Maybe 11. As far as I can remember, the movie seemed fairly accurate in the main points of the novel. What shocked me the most was seeing TAYLOR SWIFT in this movie lol... Overall, I really enjoyed this movie. The progression from black and white to color is beautiful. The discovery of feelings and emotions were just something to think about as well. I was also surprised to find out my siblings have never read The Giver, so I'm making them read it xD

4. The Lovely Bones (2009)

Image result for the lovely bones

Man... this movie was bad. I've watched this movie before when it came out in 2009, but when I tried to watch it again I couldn't. I was able to watch about halfway through the movie and then just stopped. I don't have the book with me anymore, but I do remember the movie being inaccurate compared to the book. 

5. Beautiful Creatures (2013)

Image result for beautiful creatures

Guys... This movie was two hours of my life that I will NEVER get back. Just...no... This was the first time I watched this movie. The movie was just terrible. I don't know if they were trying really hard to get an actor with a southern accent but couldn't find one or if the actor's accent was just that bad. Ethan's voice was like nails on a chalkboard to my ears. Everyone else's accent seemed perfectly normal, but Ethan's was something else. Also, was Ethan that creepy in the books? Maybe the movie made him into a total stalker. Ughhhhhh... I'm still regretting my decision in watching this movie.

6. Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010)

Image result for the lightning thief movie

I don't even know why I bothered watching this movie. I wanted to watch this movie AND the second movie, but I couldn't. This series is my soul and the movie did not live to my expectations. I understand that books do not equal directly to the movies, but it felt wrong to me. I want a redo to this series! 

7. Other Movies I Didn't Get to Watch

Image result for the fault in our stars Image result for divergent Image result for city of bones movie

There were three other movies that I wanted to watch, but I couldn't get a copy of the movie. Hopefully, I'll get to see these movies in the future. 

The Fault in Our Stars (2014): I didn't enjoy the book as much, so I have low expectations for the movie. 

Divergent (2014): I've haven't even seen the trailer for this movie yet. One moment while I go do that... Okay, the female actress is the same one for TFIOS. That's funny. Also, there's THREE movies already? Where was I when they made these movies lol... 

City of Bones (2013): I'm really interested in how this movie will turn out. I enjoyed the books, but I wasn't a hard-core fan of The Mortal Instruments series. I hear there's a TV series as well so that should be interesting to watch too. 

Woot! That is all folks. Have you read and seen any of the books/movies above? What did you think of them? Are there any other books to movies that I should watch? Let me know down in the comments! 

Side note: I have about 30% left on The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli. The review of it should be out next week! 

10 comments:

  1. The guy that plays Augustus Waters in TFIOS plays her brother in Divergent lol.

    SAME with the whole Twilight saga, I went back and watched them and it was so so cringy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait what xD? That's really funny. I wonder if the actors ever messed up their lines.

      The last movie in the saga was much more funny in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. Yeah! When I first found out, I spit my drink out on my brother lol.

    Breaking Dawn part 2 was probably my favorite movie. Book wise....either the first one or the last one though. Which book did you like better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you like the movie Divergent compared to the books? Yeah BD2 was my favorite out of the franchise. Book wise my favorite is the first book. I also liked the third book too. My least favorite was New Moon.

      Delete
    2. I am weird with books and their movies. I like both equally on their own, but compared to each other the books win.

      I liked Divergent's movie on it's own. Compared to the book, I didn't like some things- but it was fairly good.

      Delete
    3. I like that way of thinking. Usually, I love the books so much that it's hard to distinguish them for me. Also, if I saw the TV show/Movie before I've read the book, chances are, I won't read the book either xD

      Great! I can't wait to watch the movie :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh I missed this post! I love book/ movie comparisons, and posts on movies in general lol. Percy Jackson was, unfortunately, bad. Such a disappointment. Divergent I actually liked, I thought they did a good job- Tris and Four both work for me in that movie- and I'm one of the 5 or so people that liked Insurgent too. We won't talk about Allegiant... :)

    The hunger Games I just recently read (I know...) and loved 'em, and I like the movies too. Your *flips hair* comment cracked me up BTW- I'm SUCH a book snob when it comes to movies sometimes! And I've never seen Twilight...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people have said the Divergent movie was good, so I have to watch it soon! LOL Allegiant is definitely a book that many people wanted to forget haha. Book wise, I liked Divergent the most and the other two books were equal for me.

      I feel like a lot of readers are book snobs especially for movie adaptations. It's like making a movie about your own child. You want everything to e perfect! It's your love xD

      You can skip on the Twilight movies. They're very very very cringy xD

      Delete
  4. I thought the Twilight books were good when I read them at the time but I think I'd find them too slow now. I wasn't a fan of the films and stopped after the third one. I haven't seen any of the HG films except the first one which I enjoyed-need to catch up on those as I loved the books. I thought Divergent was a decent book but haven't seen the film. I hated the book and film of The Lovely Bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't reread the Twilight series either. it is one of those "nostalgia" books for me. The last movie is definitely my favorite. I thought The Hunger Games movies were done very well compared to the books. The Lovely Bones were awful haha.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS