Collecting Is Fun

Monday, June 25, 2018

Happy Monday everyone!

Sorry I've been MIA these past couple of days. It has been extremely busy for me to the point where I don't have time to read much. I hopefully can get back on track by next week. Review of Roar should be out by next week as well (if everything goes to plan this week). That being said, this is just a post talking about things I like to collect! It is just a simple and fun post. Hope you enjoy!



As someone that loves to read YA, I tend to collect the books as well. Unfortunately, until I have a full time/stable job, I won't be buying all the books I want. 90% of the books that are on my bookshelves are from thrift shops. I try my best to buy books that are in great condition for 3 bucks and under. If things go well this week, I should HOPEFULLY be able to expand my YA book collection and get some very nice bookshelves as well. Any recommendation on shelves? I was thinking of getting BILLY Bookcase from IKEA. 


Interesting fact, when I go to thrift shops to buy books, the most common ones are the Twilight series, The Hunger Game series, and all the Sarah Dessen books you can think of. One of the places I go to is a Goodwill and they had an entire THREE rows of the Twilight series. There are a couple of books on my shelf that I haven't read yet, but I plan to in the future. There also books I don't like but I enjoyed the cover. I go to the thrift store for books about once a month. I usually go to three seperate places. 


I also collect sea glass! You can read more about sea glass here. Once a month I go to the beach and comb for hours in the sand for these tiny pieces of glass that have been frosted over by the sea. I prefer to go in the winter. In the winter season, there tends to be more storms by the sea, causing for these small sea glasses to wash up more frequently. Also, less people come to the beach in the winter compared to summer, so more sea glass for me! 

Twenty Boy Summer

The inspiration for me collecting sea glass is from the book Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler. The book is alright xD. The sea glass that are on the cover of the book are manmade and not nature made. The most common color of glass (varies depending by region) are clear/white, green, and brown. The second grouping of rarity would be the light blues, light greens and amber. The RAREST colors would be cobalt blue, reds, purples and pinks. The rarest CATEGORY are pieces that retain a shape or pattern or the original object, sea pottery, or sea glass that contain uranium! I have only ever found one red sea glass the size of a pencil eraser head. I have found a couple of sea pottery and only one bottle stopper sea glass. 


Lastly, I collect postcards! This is a new collection that I have started. 90% of my postcards are from my best friend in the entire world (shout out to you Jade <3). She has been sending me post cards for years and I've kept EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. I have postcards from California, USA, Bolivia, New York, USA, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Canada, Cuba, Louisiana, USA, and the newest postcard is from Ecuador. I hope to be able to collect more as I grow older!

Alright everyone! Sorry for the absence :( Here are a few things that I am collecting. Do you guys collect anything? Are there any rare items in your collection? Let me know! I would love to read all about it :)  

15 comments:

  1. Every single time I got to a thrift store I can guarantee you there are Twilight books and maybe some of The Hunger Games. ALWAYS.
    Is it weird that when I see the books on someone else's bookshelves, books that I recognize, I feel proud?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Twilight craze is EVERYWHERE! I've seen many with Stephanie Meyer's signature too.

      I love the feeling when someone asks if I've read X book and I say yes. It is like that person is on the same wavelength like I am.

      Delete
    2. YES!! Lol. I love when someone shows me a picture of a book and asks me if I know it- and I'm like YESSSS My Preciousss.

      Delete
    3. EXACTLY! Books are amazing :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed Twenty Boy Summer! I think I took it on a cruise with me when I was a teenager... it was a long time ago, so I could be wrong, but I've definitely read it and enjoyed it!

    Cannot wait to see your review for Roar! I borrowed the audiobook from my library, but I haven't had a chance to start it yet.

    The husband and I collect comics, but that's just like collecting books... uhm, I don't know... we're very minimalist. If we don't need it/use it--bye bye thing. My son collects rocks and we've kept seashells from beach trips over the years.

    L @ Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the book ages ago too. I barely remember much besides the sea glass collecting that the brother and sister did xD

      I have like 50 pages of Roar left to read. I'll probably finish it tonight (hopefully). I wish my library offered audiobooks :(

      My younger sister collects rocks too! Does your son name the rocks? How do you store your comics?

      Delete
    2. No, he doesn't name them. I think it's cute that your sister does!

      They make boxes for comics! We're actually going to build some shelving for our comics, but it's going to be a big project! Sliding, covered drawers... it's going to be great! <3

      L @ Do You Dog-ear?

      Delete
    3. Ohhhhh I didn't know about that. I can't wait to hear about the shelving project if you decide to blog about it! Seems like one of those rewarding projects.

      Delete
  3. I love collecting stuff, and especially books! YA books in particular are fun to collect, I think. So many different genres and cool covers. :) And sea glass is awesome! I LOVE cobalt blue, there's just something about it...

    Nice pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Book covers are so enticing! So many things to see in a cover. I only have a couple of cobalt blue glass. I think my favorite color of glass would be the light pinks/purples. I REALLY Hope to find a red glass in the future. The one I have is so tiny it's almost invisible xD

      Delete
  4. I've got three big Billy bookcases in my room. I like them as they store a lot and can fit two rows of books on each shelf. I'd recommend using wooden spacers on each shelf to stop the shelves sagging in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the advice :D I'll keep that in mind when I get them.

      Delete
  5. I understand busy! :-) I hope you are able to carve out some reading time lately. I don't know that calling my shelves and shelves of books a collection is accurate, but my husband would tell you it is. I grew up surrounded by books and so I do the same now that I have my own house. All my books are books I want to read still or have read and want to read again, or have read and they have special meaning for me. Or they belong to my daughter and husband. I count them as mine too! LOL

    I love that you collect postcards! I do as well! That's so neat that you collect sea glass. I have a bell collection, although I don't really collect them anymore. I have a small music box collection and an even smaller mini-clock collection. Mostly given to me as gifts over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ultimate house goal is to have a room be my mini library. Just have it full of books from floor to ceiling. Book obsession is nothing bad!

      POSTCARD COLLECTORS UNITE!!! That is so amazing that you collect so many things! It is always fun to see what items you have when you look over them. I think the music box one would be fun to collect.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS