Books That I've Read That Changed My Life

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Hello everyone. Happy Saturday!

This post is basically about all the books I've read that have changed me in some shape or form. Some of the books that I mentioned might have a more serious reason for being in this post and others maybe a simple reason. I'm sure that every book that I've read has influenced me in some way, but I'm only going to mention a couple that strike out to me most. I believe reading and writing are one of the most important methods of expression, storytelling, and honor for many people, not just the writers, but the readers as well.

1. The Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer 

A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1)

I read this book when I was younger, around the age of 11 or 12. It is a very short book, less than 200 pages, so I'm sure you can read it in one day. What you shouldn't do is read this at 10pm like I did and remember to get tissues. This book talks about a very cruel case of child abuse where the author's own mother would punish, trick, and torment him. Although I grew up in a very strict household, after reading this book, I learned that I have a very loving and supportive family. It reminds me that although I have conflicts with my parents, ultimately, I am loved.

2. Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Imaculée Ilibagiza and Steve Erwin

Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust

Having lived in the United States all my life, I have been fortunate to not experience war in my own home country. My parents were immigrants from a war-torn country and I've learned a couple of experiences from them, but reading this book gave me a whole new insight. This book is very saddening, painful, and terror filled. These are memories of a person that escaped a genocide through sheer will and luck. I highly recommend everyone read this if they can.

3. Night by Elie Wiesel 

Night (The Night Trilogy, #1)

Another very powerful book that I've read. When I was younger, I understood the tragic event of the Holocaust, but reading this book made you feel like you were witnessing the events happen in front of you. It is a shame that there are horrible people in this world that can commit such acts. I think memoirs such as this book will remind future generations about the decimation that occurred, but at the same time let future generations learn about the mistakes in the past. This is one of many books that I believe EVERYONE should read at least once in their lifetime. 

 4. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 



This is the book that started it all. I would not be reading YA books today without this book. I've said this 40 times by now, but I love this series. I hope one day I can buy the entire box set and put it on my very own shelf. There are no words to describe how many thanks I need to give Percy & Co. and Rick Riordan for opening the door to all the other adventures I've been on in other books.

5. Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies by Erin Dionne 

Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies

Now, I think this book makes me realize how important it is to keep a healthy and fit life. It doesn't mean that I have to be model size or anything (I'm too short anyway to be a model xD). I've never been an overweight person, but I've gotten close to being overweight. This book isn't about weight loss techniques, diet formulas, or magic pills, but just a story of a girl who is THIRTEEN years old and is competing in a "chubby teen pageant." She realizes that being at such a large weight isn't healthy and tries to change.

Well, that is all everyone! I hope you enjoyed reading about five books that changed my life in either some small or big way. Books are absolutely amazing and they're here to stay. What books did you read that changed your life either big or small? Let me know down below and thanks for reading! You can also follow me on all of my social media accounts as well on the Contact Me page. 

10 comments:

  1. Percy Jackson! I love the series and the spinoff. I've been reading them to my son--he loves them, too. I love Greek mythology, and Riordan is a brilliant storyteller. I had the pleasure of meeting him at BEA one year and almost fainted, lol.

    Do You Dog-ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG YOU'RE SO LUCKY! I wish to meet him one day. I love the series so much! I'm glad your son love them as well. It is the series I tell everyone to start reading if they want a good simple series.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of the first three books you mentioned before, but they all sound like something I should read, particularly left to tell as I really know nothing about Rwandan Holocaust. Thank you for introducing me to these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel as if a lot of people do not know about the Rwandan Genocide specially since it happened less than 30 years ago. The other two books are fairly short less than 200 pages each. I hope you like them if you do read them! Best wishes!

      Delete
  3. I've never read Percy Jackson but I'd like to, and I love how he has spurred so many people's fascination with mythology and YA books.

    A child Called It sounds like a very powerful and sad read, but it probably would help many of us appreciate even more how much we're loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has opened the minds of imagination for so many people! I'm just sad the movies didn't do the books justice.

      I cried so much while reading A Child Called It. I don't even remember why I picked that book up at the library, but I'll never forget it.

      Delete
  4. Percy Jackson!! The Boxcar Children is the book series that got me into reading. And then from there, I started branching out to find out what kind of books I liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of The Boxcar Children before! It's amazing how many books there are in the world. If only I was immortal to read them all lol.

      Delete
    2. The Boxcar books were staples of my childhood! The first book is about four children who run away because they don't want to live with their grandfather (he's rumored to be "very cross"), and they find a boxcar in the woods and live there. In the other stories they solve mysteries. I don't know if the original book was a juvenile "My Side of the Mountain" thing and everyone liked the characters so much the author made them sleuths, or if the mystery series was her intention all along.

      Delete
    3. I read to my younger cousins when I have time so I might start reading them this series since it looks like it's catered to 2-6 graders. I don't know if I'll read ALL of them due to how many books are published but I'm sure my cousins will love them xD

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS