My Literary Confessions

Friday, April 20, 2018

Happy Friday everyone! The weekend is almost here.

A quick update and small chit chat. I am ALMOST done with Horde... I have about 90 pages left so, book review of it will be coming soon! So, I thought this would be fun for you all to know me a bit more if you know some book secrets of mine. Here are some literary confessions that may or may not shock you.... Enjoy!


1. I am a Twilight lover...

Granted... I read the series when I was about 7-8 years younger, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed it any less. I remember waiting for the books to come to my library, checking them out, then reading until four in the morning. I was a hard-core Team Edward and I didn't like Jacob. Alice is my favorite character. 1.2 confession: I read Breaking Dawn before I read Eclipse because Breaking Dawn came to my library three MONTHS before Eclipse did. 

2. I hated The Grapes of Wrath...

I get it, this book has a lot of symbolism and talks about one of the most major events in American history. I had to read this for my high school senior year summer reading assignment and it was a pain. I procrastinated reading this book and started reading it four days before school started. I suffered through this book. The ending didn't even make sense to me! If you understand the ending, let me know please. 

3. I read one book at a time...

I tried reading two books at a time, but I can't. I just focus on one story at a time. Kudos to all of you that juggle between 3+ books at once, you're amazing. 

4. You know that cheesy, romantic, gushy stuff? Yeah, I love those. Gimmie them!



I don't even think I have to explain this much. Books without some sort of romance instantly bore me. 

5. I hate poetry...

There. I said it. I love romantic stuff, but I hate poetry, sounds weird right? Most of the time I don't like poetry because I don't understand the deeper meaning behind them. Never liked it in middle school and 10+ years later I still don't like it. 

6. I judge a book by its cover...



I know I know. Since we were children we've been told "don't judge a book by its cover"... Well too bad! I pick books 90% of the time BECAUSE of their covers. I'm so sorry to all my English teachers and librarians. I'm one of THOSE people...

7. I dog ear my pages...

YES, I KNOW IT RUINS THE PAGES. I just lose bookmarks too easily. I mostly read digital now so bookmarking/ dog-earring isn't a huge problem anymore. 

8. When I was 15 I tried to write my own book...

Trust me when I say it was bad. I wrote about 40 pages in Microsoft Word until I just gave up. I don't have the document any more, but I remember what it was about. I'm not an English pro by any means so I know that it was probably riddled with 400 grammar mistakes. Maybe I'll try writing it again if I ever feel confident enough to. No promises though. 

9.  I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books...



Yup... I also have not read The Lord of the Rings or A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones). The sad thing is, I don't think I'll ever read them either. Since I've seen the movies and shows, I feel like the books are ruined to me. I am so sorry... Please don't leave me.

10. I think book trailers are too cringy... 

If you love them, all power to ya!

11. I hate characters with god awful names...

I get it, a lot of characters want to be unique, but sometimes the names are uneek instead. Some names click with their uniqueness or the author explains why their character is named that way and that's 100% A - Okay. I feel bad calling it out, but a lot of dystopian books have the weirdest names. For example, Glimmer from The Hunger Games or Tuesday from The Selection. At least those characters are minor characters, but when you name your MAIN character America?! 



12. I didn't like The Fault in Our Stars...

Man... In high school I got into a lot of "debates" with my friends about if this book was good or bad. It was an uneven battle by the way because I was the only one in a school of 600+ girls that hated this book. Now, I love John Green and I'm a huge fan of the online content he makes, but I did not like TFIOS. Which makes me really sad because I want to read his other works, but I'm afraid I'll hate them too. 

13. I used to read the last chapter of a book first before I read the beginning...

I've stopped this abomination so don't worry. I don't even know why I did this when I was 13. I think it started with the BETRAYAL in Bridge to Terabithia. I just had to make sure my heart wouldn't be ripped out again I guess. 

14. Even though I've always gotten A's in my English classes, I still think my English skills are either average or below average...

A lot of my family members send their essays and papers to me to proofread because they know I read a lot which means I'm an English wizard. Nope. English wasn't my first language and I got bullied a lot for it. With my assignments, I just simply asked for help. Which is how I was getting those high grades. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP! 

15. There's a book that I am looking for and I cannot remember the name...

I read this book YEARS ago and I cannot remember the name for the life of me. I've been searching for this book for FOUR years now and I'm starting to wonder if I made this book up or not. I also don't know if I'm messing up the details of this book due to the years that have gone by or I'm just going mad. I'll post my summary of the book in the Comment section if you want to read it and help me find out what the book was. 



Phew... That is all folks! Glad I got some things off my chest. What are your literary confessions? Let me know down below! I promise I won't hate you and please forgive me for never reading Harry Potter.

6 comments:

  1. Hello everyone! Here is the summary of the mystery book I mentioned:

    A YA book about two kingdoms, one Matriarchal and the other Patriarchal.

    I read this book years ago in middle school, but I don't remember what it's called. It's not a super well known book like The Hunger Games. It has been bugging my mind for years now and I can't recall what the book is called.

    The main character is a girl ( most likely a princess) living in a rich patriarchal kingdom. One day her kingdom captures a boy assassin from the enemy kingdom. The P Kingdom wants to use this boy as leverage for some type of trade, war, or negotiation to the M kingdom. The boy doesn't answer any of the questions the men asks because being raised in the M Kingdom he'll only obey to women. Knowing this, King of P Kingdom sets his daughter up to talk to the assassin. He will only talk to the main character. They both get to know each other over time as she tries to get as much information out of him as possible about the M Kingdom. Every time she pokes him about something too private or suspicious he finds a way to almost "assassinate" her. This goes on for a couple of chapters until the Queen of M Kingdom wants her assassin back. King of P Kingdom plans to kill the boy but the girl helps him escape. That's the basic story line that I can remember.

    Other tid bits I remember from the book are:

    A scene where the assassin was caught with poison needles around the princess and the guards were curious on how they let that pass. The assassin, out of fun shows the guards how many weapons he has and how he can easily kill them all and their princess.

    The assassin would always encourage the princess to speak up and defy her father because he believes that she is far superior than the males in the kingdom. They also would walk along the river (or ride horses) and compare the two kingdoms. He also saved her life once during one of these walks.

    P Kingdom was very rich. They had parties, castles, stables and it felt like a mid evil time period. The M Kingdom was very tribal. Reminds me of the Amazons in Greek mythologies.

    The princess for sure is in love with the assassin and has told him so. Assassin is sneaky as an assassin should be so we don't know how he feels but he probably loves her too since its a YA book.

    I hope this is enough information to figure out what this book is. Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dog ear my books too, I've tried book marks but they don't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand book trailers! I just can't do it, I don't know why it's just feels wrong. I guess it's just not my cup of tea at all.

    Also, I hope you find that book it sounds super interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I agree! Thank you <3 I hope so too!

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS